ViewSonic Intros 7-Inch ICS Tablet for $170 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

atleast they have a good aim in the tablet industry, Make it Cheaper. not ideal specs, but it shows what they want to achieve.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
It's interesting that before the Christmas shopping season ended the only "good" cheap tablets were the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. Barely two weeks later Asus announces their 7" Tegra 3 tablet and now Viewsonic reveals this.

If Asus and Viewsonichad released these products before Christmas, just imagine how that would have impacted Amazon's and B&N's tablet sales. If I had I bought a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet and then read about these upcoming products, I would be request a return RMA immediately.

These 7" ICS devices make the ereader tablets look like a joke.

G

Asus and Viewsonic did not want to directly compete with Amazon and B&N during the holiday rush. People had already set their minds on a particular tablet at that point, and the addition of several news ones would have simply fallen between the cracks hurting their credibility in the future, which happens to be right now. Thanks to postponing their release, the fever over the Kindle and Nook has died down and now people are open to exploring new options, which is why Asus and VS are choosing to step into the spotlight and get some attention.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
With tax, it would not be that good of a deal vs Kindle Fire... unless it has front and rear cameras, mic, usb/bluetooth.

the bad (vs kindle fire)
resolution: 800x480
1ghz single core
4GB storage

the good
microsd external storage
1080p microHDMI output
android OS ice cream sandwich

price $170
price after tax $187 (around)
how about shipping fee?

Amazon kindle fire is $200 (no tax for me, in CA) free ship

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]With tax, it would not be that good of a deal vs Kindle Fire... [/citation]
To me, what makes it a WAY better deal is that you get true Android ICS, not some silly overlay that requires rooting to get around. I know it's not hard to root, but Amazon and B&N will keep making it more difficult.

robluft

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Just because it's ics doesn't mean a good experience. Underwhelming hardware specs could mean a choppy 1080p playback, lower graphics capability for games, and shorter battery life. As a basic ebook reader or light gaming/video use this will eat into the KF's market share.

Thing is the kindle fire (and nook color/tablet) are already out. Much like other CES announcements about low priced tablet options we don't know when they will translate from words/paper to something in your hands. You might be waiting till 3-4Q/12 when many other options hit the shelves. Promise the world but just don't say when you'll deliver isn't a new theme but it is a common disappointment.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, it might be a bit cheaper, but the lower specs don't make it worth it. What manufacturers need is basically a kindle fire specs, with front facing camera for skype (low qual is fine), a memory card slot, and full blown ICS. Price it at $250 because of the added camera and mem slot, and you will beat down the kindle fire in a heartbeat!
It sounds like the upcoming Transformer Prime 7" might give us just that (and with quad core to boot)... but I don't think that is due out till Q2 or later? Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Also, to the person commenting on all of these devices not coming out until after Christmas - of COURSE they didn't come out till after Christmas. They want to get as many people to buy the full price stuff they are trying to unload before releasing new and cheaper products. My friend wanted to buy her mom a mid-grade tablet for skyping. I told her that really she should wait till February, but she ended up getting the Galaxy 9.8 tab. I think it's a great choice for her - but she probably could have paid much less in the next couple months for the same specs because of all the new stuff coming out. These companies aren't stupid, they know how to get their money out of old products. People will buy it just because it's christmas and they don't want to wait.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]Also, isn't ICS more for phones? I really like honeycomb on tablets.[/citation]
ICS is made for both. It's the product of the fact that they didn't want two different OS's causing fragmentation. Just like how iOS is for both iPhone and iPad. One OS makes it easier for programmers to make their apps compatible with both types of device.
I haven't had the pleasure to work with ICS myself, but I actually don't care much for Honeycomb. The interface isn't as intuitive as Gingerbread and below (in my opinion at least). I have a thunderbolt and when my mom got a Dell Streak, even I was having issues getting everything set up.
This way with ICS being made for both, I would assume that methods of doing things and the overall experience will be so similar, it will be easy to go from device to device.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
too expansive, china branded 7' tablet with 1.5Ghz A8, 8GB SSD, 512MB RAM,3G support only cost less than USD100

Proof
ht tp://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?&id=14460924380

Status
Not open for further replies.