VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.XZ virus pls HELP ME experts needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have Windows 8.1 64-bit, and after doing a windows defender full scan, it found this virus VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.XZ. I tried deleting it, but after 20 minutes of hanging, the AV tells me that an error code 0x800700df. occured, saying that "the file exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved." How do I kill this virus? I turned off windows defender, installed Bitdefender free edition, and it did not pick up this virus, only Windows defender can pick it up but it can't eliminate it. What can I do to eliminate the virus? Do I need to format the computer?

If it helps, it says that the container file is located in my vuze download folders, in the Skidrow Batman Arkham City GOTY edition that I downloaded.

PLS HELP ME!!!!!

Solution
There are a lot of legit pieces of software that can trigger false positives just on their nature. From what I've read, the specific alert you're receiving is a false positive. It has to do with the nature of the code execution. No antivirus software is perfect, as they run off a set of rules and definitions. That's why it's important to use one active shield, and multiple on demand virus scanners.

Barney6262

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
From what I can see this is linked to pirating games. This bypasses the system where games need a code to be played. So I can only assume your game was a pirate copy.

Here is someone with the same problem, try learning off it.
http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/208452-infected-virtool-win32-obfuscator-xz.html

This shouldn't be a virus. The only reason windows defender picks it up is because of the way it uses code. Try adding it to the exclude list as admin

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

This game is not even installed on my laptop, and it is not pirated. I have an original cd-key of the game from steam, but since the dumbasses WB developers patched the game to remove GFWL, I needed a copy pre-patch, so I downloaded an iso online and used my original cd-key to activate the game, so I never used any kinds of workarounds, cracks or other shit to install my game. Plus like I said it is not installed on my laptop, I installed the game on my desktop, and that PC is running Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013 (paid full version) along with Malwarebytes, and neither of them picked anything on my desktop, so what is the catch?

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Then this means that Windows defender is shit and alarmed me for no reason? I mean if Kaspersky and Malwarebytes do not pick up anything on my desktop with the game installed, I guess it is because this file is a false positive and that is why they do not pick it up? I am still confused as to why only Windows defender/MSE can pick up this virus and nothing else does, be it Norton, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, etc.

aford10

Distinguished
There are a lot of legit pieces of software that can trigger false positives just on their nature. From what I've read, the specific alert you're receiving is a false positive. It has to do with the nature of the code execution. No antivirus software is perfect, as they run off a set of rules and definitions. That's why it's important to use one active shield, and multiple on demand virus scanners.

Solution

SAI7

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014

Alexander K

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
It should be just a hack for an application, yes. However, who knows, maybe pirates also added some malicious software there. they must have their gain in hacking games for free after all. Who knows...

The reason that only Microsoft Defender found it is (imho) because this company hates pirating :)

As for Kaspersky, I do not trust it at all. Recently I've read that they were caught on distributing malicious software themselves. No surprise since they are russians... Oh, here's the link to article on Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

Razor_2

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
i don't know, it might be used from hackers to spy on you, you don't know if they are trustworthy, my advice s to find by yourself if the executable is harmful or not, learn to read programs...

Razor_2

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Is VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.XZ a False Positive ?
Files reported as VirTool:Win32/Obfuscator.XZ are not necessarily malicious. For example, users can be tricked into using non-malicious programs, such as Web browsers, to unknowingly perform malicious actions, such as downloading malware. Some otherwise harmless programs may have flaws that malware or attackers can exploit to perform malicious actions. Should you be uncertain as to whether a file has been reported correctly, we encourage you to submit the affected file to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ to be scanned with multiple antivirus engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.