Virtual Box and Virtual PC Error

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
So, I'm trying to install a x64 VM in virtual pc and I get the error message "Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this cpu is not compatible with 64-bit mode." My cpu and motherboard are vt-x compatible and I have intel virtualization technology enabled in bios. The funny thing is that if I try it in VMware workstation, the vm loads without any error, but with VB and windows virtual pc it does. I looked on Virtual Box's site and I read that it sup[ports x64-bit guest OS's. I'm pretty sure virtual PC does too. Do any of you know a work around on how to fix this? I would use VMware but I don't want to pay for it and I don't pirate software so that is out of the question. I have quite a bit of experience with computer science as I went to school for it and I work as a technician.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Keep searching. There is a fix for this as I came across it 6 months ago or so. They updated Virtual Box and my VMs broke. There is some switch that needs to be set but by default it isn't. Sory that I can't remember it but you'll find it.

I believe that it had something to do with AMD processors. I'm 99% sure of that.

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Well my processor is Intel, so how would that solve anything?

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm 99% sure that Virtual PC does not support 64-bit operating systems. VirtualBox certainly does, as long as you configure the guest machine appropriately (pick a 64-bit OS when you create the VM). Which processor do you have, and what is the guest OS that you are trying to load?

BTW, if you prefer VMWare then you don't have to pay for it. VMWare player is a free download.

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Server 2008 R2 64-bit. I tried it before but I can download vb again and try again, but I fiddled with that thing forever. I made sure vt-x was enabled in vb's settings and there was something else I checked too, I don't remember what it was. My processor is a 3570k. I already looked to make sure it had vt-x. It just doesn't have vt-d, which just allows you to configure I/O support. Thanks.

Ijack

Distinguished
And you selected Windows Server 64-bit as the OS when you created the VM? It should just work. You might want to double-check the BIOS settings again. Or just go with VMWare workstation (or Hyper-V, depending upon your host OS).

(Note - the above assumes that you are not running on an HP computer. There is a bug in the BIOS with some HPs which means that virtualization is not reported correctly.)

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I just went ahead and downloaded vmplayer. It works fine. I guess VB doesn't support Server 08 R2 as a guest. Thanks for your help.