Vizio 70" E701I-A3 - Picture went out like *snap* that! No picture, have tried replacement boards!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
My dad got this TV about 5 or 6 months ago and he has had no issues with it at all. The TV would probably be on for about 3 to 4 hours a day maximum. About a week ago, he was watching something and right before his eyes the picture went out (no popping noise or any electronic failure sound). Audio was going through Home Theatre system which continues as the TV speakers had been set to off.

When powering the TV on, The power light comes up and seems to be solid with a slight flickering. The back-light comes on but the display remains black. When using the volume buttons on the TV or remote, the back light will brighten and then fade to normal brightness. At this point I assumed the video board might be bad, and that there really wasn't any power issue. However, at the cost of the TV and the components only costing about $60, I bought a replacement power board and Video Board, none of which solved the problem.

My next bet is to buy a T-con board, but everywhere I've seemed to look doesn't really show that this will solve the problem. I have even tried resetting the TV via button combos but nothing seemed to do anything. Could the actual display have gone out?? Please, if anyone has any suggestions for us to try it would be much appreciated! And we no longer have the receipt to this TV so I dont think there is any way to return this for repairs. Thanks again!!

Mar 25, 2015

I have the same freaking issue... Cant believe it!! I'm pissed just reading all of this. In fact I already bought a replacement Samsung but decided to troubleshoot a bit because I figured the TV was shot because I had an annoying line going across the screen for a while before the picture just died completely. I just got off the phone w/Vizio and they lady is trying to get me to call Walmart to send a copy of my receipt. All of this seems so ridiculous considering how new the TV is. Even after I get the receipt I bet it's going to be out of warranty and they are going to jerk the hell out of me. horrible customer service and a shit product. My Samsung get's here tomorrow and I swear if they jerk me around on replacing this Vizio I vow to trash their product and service at every opportunity.

SDMom

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
I've had this same TV for 17 months, and two nights ago we were watching TV when the picture slowly faded to black. No previous problems or warning. We could still hear sound and the back light stayed on, but no picture. As soon as I could, I did a search on the model number and came across this thread. Needless to say, it was very discouraging. I was able to get a repair guy out - he replaced the control board and even tried using a working, used video board to test the display, but still no picture. He said the screen is dead and we gotta get a new TV. Thankfully, we have an extended warranty thru Mastercard. Totally sucks that it took a dump in less than two years. Anyway - I'm curious about what everyone did with their dead tv's. Can I sell it for the parts? Recycle? Throw it in the dumpster? And thanks everyone for your feedback - it's been the greatest help the last couple of days.

Suzv

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015

There is a recall for certain serial numbers if you call Vizio.

JimCriner

Estimable
May 4, 2015
NO SOLUTION FOR A FIX!
We bought our vizio 70" at Sams Club 15 months ago and it went out last week. The tech came out and took pictures of a nonworking tv and we haven't heard anything until today when we got an email from Sams Extended Warranty saying they are refunding our money for the tv. I guess we're out for the extended warranty and wall mount cost. I plan on harassing them about that.
FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A REVIEW....STAY AWAY FROM VIZIO! They've had this problem for years and haven't fixed it, if I had read reviews before I purchased a tv it wouldn't have been vizio!

VizioStinks

Estimable
May 13, 2015
We bought this TV on black Friday in November 2013 and of course it died a little over a month out of warranty. We luckily had used a credit card to buy it so it doubled the warranty we had on the TV.

My wife was watching the TV and she said the picture faded to black and well that was it for the picture. The TV is dead. We had a TV repair guy come out and swap all the boards and still received no video from the TV. It seems the display has gone out on our TV.

Good luck out there. Hopefully Vizio will issue a recall, but I am not holding my breath.

jjlynch723

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hilarious. Bought this on black Friday as well in 2013....TV died a week ago. I was actually watching it when it happened. They picture slowly faded into a black circle in the middle of the screen, then the whole screen went black. Kind of like when you turn off a tv from the 1970's, it retracts the pictures into the middle of the screen and shuts off. Volume still works, backlight still works as well. Just a black screen though.

I tried replacing the t-con board, didn't work. I think its time to junk it.

Herbtastik

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Mine just went to the blue death screen also...it's not even a year old. I now have to go back to Walmart and hope I can get a copy of the receipt, I didnt register it either. This is going to be fun, iam sure...<<Smh>>

Herbtastik

Estimable
May 18, 2015
after spending a half of day getting a copie of my recipt from Walmart, come to find out my tv was purchased 4/12/14 so 1year and a month old..ugh!

I called Vizio and they opend a case, and told me send them a copie of the recipt which I had already gotten. I called them back as soon as I emaild it and Vizio said give me a few minutes to go over everything.....15Min later, ok Mr.L we will be sending you out the newer model the E70-C3 and swap out the TV's..WOW, what customer service! They have earned my loyalty! Thank You Vizio

jetlagger

Estimable
May 31, 2015
I also bought that 70" Vizio at Walmarts Black Friday sale of 2013.. I just moments ago watched my 70" E701i-A3 Vizio fade to black. It took about 1 minute to fade to black. There is a very faint light blue left in the screen when I start it back up and the fades until you can barely notice it. What shame. We've had Sonys Bravia's and Panasonics for many years now without any problems. They were all around 42". The Vizio was the only real big screen of 70".

VizioStinks

Estimable
May 13, 2015
My wife and I also bought our TV on Black Friday and the same thing is going on with our TV. My wife was watching TV and the picture slowly faded to black. The volume and back light are still working, but there is no picture. Vizio told us to call HD Repair; We called them and they looked at our TV and confirmed that the display was out. The repair guy said he saw another one of the exact same model with the same exact issue right before trying to fix ours. I looked on craigslist in my area and found another TV with the exact same issue. Our serial number starts with LFTRNXCP if anyone is curious.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
I bought a used one with a corner back-light out and light blemishes on the screen about a year ago for around $450 with shipping included, was shipped Old Dominion to my work. I know they go for a decent price on eBay so I would look there, calculate shipping costs and how much dead ones are going for now. May could get $200 towards a new TV.

If there's any lesson I learned it would be this:

BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR YOUR TV, IT'S WORTH IT! Especially if it's a Vizio!!!

I would post the S/N if I still had the original unit, I tossed it a couple of weeks ago actually. Funny thing is the unit I bought off eBay with a bad back-light and blemishes is still running strong! I was going to swap the back-lights off the bad unit into this one but after I took it apart I didn't want to damage this one!

dd_ram

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015

Yes, I have bought this 70" vizio tv from walmart on 2013 black friday..All of sudden the picture and sound went off 10 mins ago.
Same exact crap...It seems like there was timer got kicked on and turned off all these TVs exactly around the same time. Please let me know what can we do as a group to get his fixed or replaced by Vizio ?

bill123123

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015

had the same tv same problem several months out of warrenty and they replaced mine with a brand new 2015 70c3 for free

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014

I don't believe it as most of us here have tried. You need to show proof of how and why they did this, if they actually did replace your set for free out of warranty.

tiiiim

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
So my tv is a black Friday tv also from Walmart 2013 same thing picture went out, just slight blue screen currently trying to get warranty out of someone. Have to find recipt from Walmart 18 months ago. will post the answer when I get one.

Scarl

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
I came across this forum because like all of you, my Vizio E701i-A3E screen went black last week. This tv set is a replacement since last year I was also having issues with the tv and they had it replaced. I am out of warranty and it seems like out of luck! This tv is not even a year old, but since I got it replaced it's not covered in the warranty anymore! I came to the conclusion that it was the tcon board, so I ordered it and replaced it, but still the tv is not working. I am so upset with this company, as I have found so many with the same defect! I called them again, just now, and told them they had a defective tv! That I was not going to pay for a repairman to come and change all the boards only to tell me that the tv is unrepairable! I also told them that if I had known about this model having all of these issues I definitely would have bought the extended warranty! They don't care about my complaints, they only tell me they can't do anything about it since its OUT OF WARRANTY! I asked to speak with a supervisor, but apparently he or she is too busy to talk to me, so I am waiting for them to call me back. What can I do? I don't want to spend more money on this tv!

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014

You're about in the same position that all of us are in. Only thing I can suggest is to call them and b!7c# at them. Just complain, get angry, ask to be elevated. I work in customer support so I'd hate if I were to get a call like that, but I must pass it up to management if I do so I don't have to worry about it too much. That may be your only option at this point and hope you get lucky.

Smartin42515

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015

I have the same serial number and vizio said they cannot help me... So upset!!! I hot the tv on black friday 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.