Vizio 70" E701I-A3 - Picture went out like *snap* that! No picture, have tried replacement boards!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
My dad got this TV about 5 or 6 months ago and he has had no issues with it at all. The TV would probably be on for about 3 to 4 hours a day maximum. About a week ago, he was watching something and right before his eyes the picture went out (no popping noise or any electronic failure sound). Audio was going through Home Theatre system which continues as the TV speakers had been set to off.

When powering the TV on, The power light comes up and seems to be solid with a slight flickering. The back-light comes on but the display remains black. When using the volume buttons on the TV or remote, the back light will brighten and then fade to normal brightness. At this point I assumed the video board might be bad, and that there really wasn't any power issue. However, at the cost of the TV and the components only costing about $60, I bought a replacement power board and Video Board, none of which solved the problem.

My next bet is to buy a T-con board, but everywhere I've seemed to look doesn't really show that this will solve the problem. I have even tried resetting the TV via button combos but nothing seemed to do anything. Could the actual display have gone out?? Please, if anyone has any suggestions for us to try it would be much appreciated! And we no longer have the receipt to this TV so I dont think there is any way to return this for repairs. Thanks again!!

Triforce85

Estimable
Jul 3, 2015
I just got off the phone to replace a replacement of the same exact model (surprise surprise). The first one lasted 11 months. The 2nd unit lasted 6 months, and its serial no was prefaced with a "BF" likely indicating that it was another Black Friday model. When we got the 2nd one, I remember asking if it was another TV with the same equipment and potentially the same blackout problem. She assured me that this one was fine, and of a different batch (B.S.). Anyhow, surprisingly, without much issue nor a receipt, they are swapping the 2nd one with a new 70c3 unit next week. It's supposed to be all different equipment inside, and they got rid of that idiotic single-point stand for a 70" TV. Hopefully all goes well. Don't give up the fight!

Letitia Hoch

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
Bill124123, hello, I too have the wonderful vizio. One morning I came in and there was a screen that said an update for the TV had been received. Same day, a horizontal black line appeared running across the screen. Then,the next day, picture went off without any noise and its now gone. Backlight on, sou s on, just like everyone else. Warranty two months past. How did you get yours replaced with no warranty? Seems like vizio obviously knows they are selling junk that should be off,the market. This set was not cheap! Please let me know how you got yours replaced. Also, I do believe it's time for a lawsuit, I would be happy,to join, companies shouldn't be able to cheat customers with obvious shoddy merchandise. Thank,you for your speedy reply, tish

Letitia Hoch

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
Hello everyone, I too had my vizio up and die two days ago with no warning. One day a black horizontal line appeared, the next day the pic was gone. Backlight and sound are still working. Same with you all, it has been a little over a year so my one year warranty is gone. After researching I have found some info. Vizio has recalled several of the 70 in tvs and the 60_in TV E601i-A3 if the serial number lies within a range listed. If the TV is already out, it will,be replaced, or if still working they will replace the bad part. If your TV has a serial number that is outside of the range listed they are extending the regular 1 year warranty to a two year warranty for this exact issue. So, if your TV is dead and past the one year mark, good news, they have extended the warranty for this exact problem to two years. So call,vizio!!! This article is where i first found the info. I am calling the number listed in the article tomorrow and will not stop until this warranty is honored since they knew about the issue. Vizio # 1-855-209-4106. Good luck everyone and hurry so time doesnt run out!!
http://hdguru.com/vizio-issues-a-recall-on-large-screen-led-lcd-hdtvs/

Chi Rob

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
I have the Vizio m701d that also went out. My TV started with a line going across the screen and then the picture got dark and them bam no picture. I have called vizio many times pissed off that I can spend $2200.and for them too say your 1 month out of warranty. Is this what we're paying for products.

Iowatv

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015

I have a 2013 Black Friday 70inch. Same thing as everyone here. Blue screen with sound. The serial number didn't fall with the range of the ones that were 'recalled' I Called Vizio anyways, told them when I bought it and the issue. They are sending me a new tv in 7-10 days. Didn't even ask for a receipt or anything.Apparently they are replacing any with this problem.

if you have this issue Give Vizio a call. Good Luck

nagmafan

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi,
Finally got the replacement just an hour ago.
Iam back..I posted 4 weeks ago here that I bought vizio 701i A3e on 2013 black friday deal in walmart and went out with no picture but audio. Next day I have called vizio and complained her. She askmed me when did I bought it. I said 1.5 years ago and she asked me if I bought any extended warranty. I said NO. but I told her that there was a recall on this TV. She asked me if I have received any recall notice...I was just murmuring and said NO..and was about to tell her that there were lot of complaints on this specific model and everyone was out after one year. But before I opened my mouth, that nice lady put me on hold and came back after 5 mins and said that they will swap the TV. She told me to upload the receipt and photo of TV. They shipped from CA in 3 days through Mana distribution carrier which is junk, took almost 3.5 weeks to deliver the TV...but finally it arrived 1 hr ago...Iam not as lucky as the other guy who got 2015 model...but got 2013 basic model 701i A3.. but atleast got the new tv and Iam happy...let us see howlong it works. Call Vizio multiple times until you get success..don't give up...eventhough your tv broke few months ago...try to call them....hope everyone gets the replacement.

Stephanieaf8785

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
I got my TV a year ago to the exact date - 70in, same series, and this just happened! Unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to call and I am extremely upset about this. This is not right that the same thing is happening to so many people!

Clavier

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
I have a 2015 40" E-Series Vizio Smart Tv that I bought in May-June this year from Walmart.

It's not the same year, size or model number as the one complained about here, but I'm having the same issue with mine as of last night. Obviously, Vizio hasn't improved their parts or processes in all this time despite all the aggravation.

I'll be getting my money back from someone on this piece of garbage. I'm disappointed though. I had a 32" Vizio Smart TV bought in 2012 from Amazon and never once had a single issue with it. But was stolen, though.

Unfortunately, I also have a Samsung 40" that has well-known control board problems resulting in intermittent responsiveness so I really don't even know which brand of TV to buy with the refund I guarantee I'll get one way or another.

emily1979

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015

emily1979

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
47 vizeo smart tv screen went out 1 month out of warrenty as well. No luck with vizeo to replace but I was sold a box of replacement parts for 100 dollars tv still doesnt work highly disappointed.

Wiloughby

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
I got a new 70 inch from vizio after my black Friday tv went out. First I called vizio and they said I needed a receipt and sent me an email wit a link and case number to send a copy of receipt . Called walmart, gave them the date, and method of payment for the tv. They reprinted my receipt. I emailed the receipt to vizio. They delivered my new 70 inch tv one week ago. I was never rude and neither were they.

schwaby

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I also have a Vizio E701i-a3 that had the picture go out on it. Called Vizio and they gave me the same line that there was nothing they can do and that I should shell out more money on a new Vizio TV. The sound and backlight are still working so I attempted the repair and bought a replacement T-Con board gambling that was the probelm. Just installed the new one today and the picture was working! Unfortunately that lasted for only a few minutes before the picture faded out again and back to where I started. Any idea what would be frying the T-Con boards?

bookitty

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
sghwaby:
Exactly what happened to me with replacement from Shop Jimmy. I sent it back and got another. When I installed the new replacement, I didn't get a picture at all.

schwaby

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

ShopJimmy took the part back and sent you another for free? Did you make any progress in figuring out what the cause was?

bookitty

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

I haven't figured anything out. The new t-con board didn't provide any video this time. I have also replaced the main board. I don't know if the problem could be in the power board or not. I'm at a loss right now. And yes they exchanged for free.

tiiiim

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
Here is what happened I was able to get a receipt from walmart as I could not find mine. Sent the warranty to my mastercard extended warranty with a service estimate saying tv no good. mastercard sent me a check for the original amount payed. Never going to buy a visio again bought a sony. visio could have sent a parcial check or something but nothing its just bad customer service.

moyism

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
I know this is sort of an old thread but just wanted to put my 2cents in as well...

Just like a lot of folks in this thread, I picked up a Vizio 70" E701-A3E during Walmart's Black Friday sale in 2013. Worked great for 1.75 years and just this past week I saw my TV display die like everyone else here. Audio fine, see display power on but no actual picture.

Called Vizio technicial support which didn't give much help and said it was out of warranty. Was given the 3rd party vendors mentioned in this thread, but even the vendors were like "we don't support the model and generally repairs due to the display panel don't work out". Called my CC (Visa via CaptialOne) and confirmed I had extended warranty so started going through their claims process... part of it being trying to get a quote from the vendor for repair etc.

Contacted Vizio again but this time went to customer support. Rep i spoke to basically said I could get a free repair if I show proof of purchase which was still 10x better than no help at all from Vizio. 24 hours plus one trip to Walmart to reprint a receipt later, contacted Vizio back again and this rep said the model was extended for an additional year warranty (due to the issues mentioned here). So instead of a repair, they're sending a certified replacement (which is not as great as some of the users here getting a newer model but can't complain). Also once I get the replacement TV, I'll have an 90 day warranty on it which I can extend if I want (still on the fence but most likely will do depending).

Will know how it goes hopefully in a few weeks as it's suppose to be delivered by Manna. But just wanted to say thanks to all who put their stories in and gave folks like myself a guide in trying to get their TV working again :)

For those reading and have the same issue, all I can say is try talking to customer support vs technical, since they seem more willing to help... and pray if you bought the Vizio 70" in 2013, if it does break it happens soon since that additional extended warranty will only last another 2 months...

irieidea

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
This was exactly my same experience. My 701i-A3 was purchased on Amazon in October of 2013 and my set has all the same symptoms. Sound and backlight are on but no picture. I called Vizio customer support and gave them my model and serial number and was informed that this model is eligible for a 2 yr replacement with a certified replacement program that "is not a recall". I uploaded the shipment invoice from amazon to the rep while on the phone and she processed my replacement immediately. I should have my new TV in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.