Vizio Overtakes Sony for LCD TV Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmoneycfb

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I sell LCD TVs and I have to say, I have never been a fan of Sony, BUT they are quite a bit better than Vizio in picture quality. Though, for the money I would buy Samsung over Sony any day of the week.
Vizio has a 47" LCD < VO47LFHDTV10A > that is an AMAZING deal at Costco and Wal-Mart. For only $900~ this is the only Vizio that I would constantly recommend.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Hmm,I always thought the Emerson's looked most realistic in their displays. Though,Samsung then Sony had the best "picture quality".
To be honest,I want better colors than anything.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Ralf the Dog

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
quote]Then you will want to check out the Lazer TV... from what I have seen, the colors are beyond anything ever produced. I believe those are made my Mitsubishi.[/quote]

Samsung also makes a Laser DLP.

DLP is far better than LCD. DLP has a better picture, DLP has better color. Plasma has almost as good a picture as DLP when you first get it, but plasma burns in. The only problem with DLP (Not the laser one you are talking about) Is that you must change the bulbs every 5 or 10 years, and they take up quite a bit of space.

For a large room that needs a 65 or 72 inch display, DLP (With or without a laser lamp) is the only way to go.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Vizio now makes good quality sets for the price, but I still wouldn't buy one. Sony is just overpriced and I'd rather buy a Samsung if I was looking at an LCD. For large sets though I feel that Panasonic Plasma is the way to go ^_^.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
when will they sell them with integrated Blu-Ray players? Also, I would only buy one with 120Hz refresh so when the image is moving ie camera panning left to right, the image doesn't blur up.

ezmoneycfb

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
120Hz only matters when done well. Vizio has a 120Hz model that was reviewed by Cnet and had more blur than thier own 60Hz models.
As for built-in Blue-Ray, TVs with built in players are almost always of lower quality, and have many more reliability issues.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I recently bought a new Samsung 32" 720p for the bedroom. It was only $50 more than the Vizio next to it, but had a clearly superior picture (SD and HD).

That being said, Vizio TVs will be what gets the bulk of US consumers to switch over to LCD and HD from their CRT sets. They offer Joe American a decent CRT replacement for a very good value.

Sony sets have always been overpriced for what you get, IMO, except for the old Trinitron CRTs. It is all about the panel. There are companies out there who charge based upon their name and could easily be using a panel that a no-name brand is using, with an equal picture. Actually Samsung and Sony often use the same panel as well (a few years ago they opened an LCD plant together), but you'll usually find the Samsung quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Sony. Although Samsung is not an off-brand, they don't seem to over-charge just because their name is attached like Sony does.

In the end, to me when it comes to LCD, if a trusted name brand like Samsung or Toshiba is only $50-100 more for a set over a less known company like Vizio, Westinghouse or Olevia.. I'd go for the Samsung/Toshiba in most cases. But I could easily recommend a Vizio to a first time LCD buyer on a budget, as they do make some very nice affordable LCD sets. Perhaps the Vizio might have a higher chance at failing, but always make sure you check your warranty out as well, before buying a new TV set.. especially with the newer technologies.

Eddie72

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I think Vizio's are to LCD's what Sanyo at one time were to CRT's. Sanyo of course has gotten way better in quality than they used to be though. You get what you pay for though and hopefully everyone that bought a Vizio got a decent warranty with their set.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"Full HD 1080p, TRILUMINOS® RGB LED Backlight, Motionflow™ 120Hz PRO, BRAVIA Engine™ 2 PRO, 10-bit display panel and processing, Deep Color, Live Color Creation™ technology, piano gloss black finish with floating glass accents " That is what we pay extra for getting a Sony instead of Vizio. If thoses feature are important to you. It worth the money. If not, it you like it even Vizio czn be ther best deal.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
My bet is that tough economic times will push Sony prices lower. It does not matter what buzz terms Sony uses, their price is extremely high. I have a technically competent friend who recently viewed the 60" Kuro Plasma side by side with the 55" Triluminos Sony LCD and other "not so advanced" models at a local mid to high-end home theater shop. He said that there was no "knock out" difference between the sets, and nothing, really that was an eye-popping wow over previous generation sets. IMHO, that says a lot.

I'm willing to bet that not many readers here will remember that Compaq used to sell PC clones at a high premium even though they were no better than anything you built yourself for thousands, yes thousands, cheaper. Eventually, Compaq's price was driven way down, and finally, Compaq is now just an HP brand as they were not able to survive alone.

History has a tendency to repeat itself for those who refuse to learn it's lessons. Maybe, just maybe those selling high-priced lcd's because of brand recognition will be taught a lesson during these hard economic times, and we will get better sets at lower prices. IMHO Sony, Sharp, and Samsung are selling their LED backlit panels at exorbitant prices that are not necessarily justified. Now all we need is for Vizio to release an LED backlit panel...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Looks like Vizio turned out to be the best deal Sony ever made. But they should control the company. Sony wont like to be #2 to Vizio for a long time.

jplelko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
i own a (2) 32" vizio and really like them. true they are not the same quality as a higher end lcd like sony, but for almost half the price it is well worth it. i play xbox 360 on one all the time and it preforms well. i notice a little ghosting but this tv is 2 years old now. i am sure that the preformance has gone up since then. bottom line vizio offers the best value.

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
All I know is that I pickked up a 32" LCD 1080P Vizio at costco about 4 months ago And I love it. I was using an Acer 24" 1920x1200 screen, but the Xbox 360 looked like crap on it because of no 1 to 1 mapping, So I was going to get a dell 24" one of the 1080p ones to use for my 360 and PC. But I got the 32" 1080p vizio for just a little most and It is great. Costco had a sont and a samsung right next to it and all three were 32" but the vizio was the only 1080P one and it was about $200 less than the 720p sony and samsung Also the vizio panel is about the same as the sony panel for a 1/3 less in price. I tell all who ask about tvs that for the price Vizio is the best.

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
The wife and I were sick of our old tv in the bedroom and bought a 720p 32" Vizio fall last year. The zoom options for standard definition channels isn't quite as good as I would like. We keep a PC hooked up to it for movies. Whether we're watching DVD's or Digital channels the picture quality is good enough for us. Brightness is more than enough even with the window open during the day. Sound is really this things biggest downfall but in a bedroom setting its once again good enough for us, and when we watch movies we use 5.1 anyways. Overall for under $500 its more than enough.

G

I have a 42" Vizio and when next to a Sony Bravia or higher cost LCD and pumping the same signal you honestly cannot see any significant differences, unless you're always just 2 or 3 feet away. For the money they are the best LCD sets out there.

Really, time will tell since they have only recently in the last 24 months made such a significant impact in the market. The real truth will be told in how they hold up over a 5+ year period compared to a higher end Sony or Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.