240 Hz sony 55' LCD or 46' 120 Hz Samsung LED for computer gaming?

G

I'm looking to buy a new TV and was wondering which tv would be better for computer gaming.
The LED is this one:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11530592&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607&N=4047300%204294967156&Mo=6&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

I don't have a link for the Sony bravia but it's the hx7 series 55 inch 240 hz. It uses a LCD display and seems almost to not be featured on a majority of sites. i couldn't find it on newegg, bestbuy, or costco's website. It may be in the phase out stage of it life by sony. I'm under the impression that the higher the Hz the faster the response time for gaming but i was wondering if the display type would make a difference for gaming. LED vs LCD. I also would trust samsung over sony any day of the week as i've owned multiple samsung computer monitors and can say i've never been let down.T

Solution
LED is a marketing term to fool unsuspecting customers to upgrade their TV/monitors. Which part of the monitor do you think is LED? What I know is that LCD to LED is like CPU to RAM. Both 3 letter acronyms but completely different part of the same thing. To put it simply, the display (color filter) portion of a TV/Monitor is always LCD because LED only replaces the backlight portion. It makes little to no difference in terms of image quality but only saves a little bit of power.

Anyway I won't use either TVs for gaming. So called 240hz and 120hz on TVs doesn't actually accept high refresh rate signals. The TVs internal processor receives the frames and based on the difference, it makes up a few of its own to display between them to...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
LED is a marketing term to fool unsuspecting customers to upgrade their TV/monitors. Which part of the monitor do you think is LED? What I know is that LCD to LED is like CPU to RAM. Both 3 letter acronyms but completely different part of the same thing. To put it simply, the display (color filter) portion of a TV/Monitor is always LCD because LED only replaces the backlight portion. It makes little to no difference in terms of image quality but only saves a little bit of power.

Anyway I won't use either TVs for gaming. So called 240hz and 120hz on TVs doesn't actually accept high refresh rate signals. The TVs internal processor receives the frames and based on the difference, it makes up a few of its own to display between them to make motion appear more smooth. The end result is artifacts and tremendous input lag. It is unplayable on 240hz or 120hz modes because the TV needs to process the image. To process the image it must dispaly the image a second behind so it has enough frames to work with.

I would find something 3D cappable (those TVs are accepts a real 120hz signal) or something just regular 60hz. You could still get one of the two TVs, theres always a gaming mode to turn off the image processing.

Solution

unspoken thought

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
240hz for a mid to top end gaming machine is the only way to go. I couldn't believe my eyes when I picked up a Sony 55" HX800 (upgraded from a 46" Samsung from 2008) for $1500 (CompUSA), brought it home, calibrated, and began punching up games. Awed doesn't even begin to describe the feeling.

Going off the benchmark specs, as long as the frame rate stayed above 30fps w/ V-sync enabled, I would not see judder or artifacting what so ever. Most games stayed at or above 60 fps. Oh and this input lag non sense that goes around...maybe if you were competing for money in an FPS would you notice it. Yes its that good without all the bs that people spout. I'm even using wireless inputs. :)

AMD Phenom 2 Quad + 6850 + 12GB memory.

Games tested: Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Resident Evil 5, Star Wars Forced Unleashed II, Splinter Cell Conviction, Lost Planet 2, Bioshock 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Fallout New Vegas, Dawn of War II Retribution, COD Black Ops, Crysis.

I'm never going back to 60hz.

Now I just need 3-D, Crossfire and 2 more 55's so I can begin to lose my eyesight!