Volume is ALL the way OFF, but sound still playing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
If I turn my volume all the way down to where it says 0 on my computer, I can still hear it playing just lightly. It is almost completely down, but still there. It freaks me out if there is a movie playing in the background, or a video or something that I forgot to pause.

Any ideas for a solution?

Solution
It is possible that it is a win 8 problem with certain hardware that was overlooked...
I would also look at the volume mixer and the rec/payback devices and see if there are meters moving with a signal.
This I found useful when I was trying to fix my audio problem with my digital recorder.
If you have the "speaker" icon on the sys tray then right click and select one of those and investigate! (make sure you have an audio source playing.) you should see the bar meter moving.
Then you can mute it and if that solves the problem, then open the properties of that channel and see what is set.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It is possible that it is a win 8 problem with certain hardware that was overlooked...
I would also look at the volume mixer and the rec/payback devices and see if there are meters moving with a signal.
This I found useful when I was trying to fix my audio problem with my digital recorder.
If you have the "speaker" icon on the sys tray then right click and select one of those and investigate! (make sure you have an audio source playing.) you should see the bar meter moving.
Then you can mute it and if that solves the problem, then open the properties of that channel and see what is set.

Solution