VP9 codec + YouTube questions. (Read Description)

Bryce Demar

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hello, I am relatively new to video capture, encoding and compression. I am constantly collecting information on what codecs and render/encode settings people use on their YouTube videos with the hope of finding out the best possible combination of codecs and settings to use that will result in the best quality scaling. I capture game footage using Dxtory(Ut Video), and render footage with Adobe Premiere(H.264). It seems to me that real life footage seems to look much better compared to game footage once uploaded to YouTube. I use the H.264 codec because I have heard that that's what YouTube uses, but I have also been hearing about VP9. I have some general questions about VP9 and where I can download the codec.

- SKIP TO HERE IF YOUR LAZY -

1. Is VP9 a codec like H.264, Lagarith, Ut Video, and others alike or is it something else entirely.
2. Is youtube using VP9 or is it still in development?
3. When i upload a H.264 rendered video does YouTube recognize that fact or does it just encode it like any other video.
4. If youtube is using VP9 will uploading a video encoded through VP9 result in better quality scaling?
5. If VP9 is downloadable where can i find it? Does it not come in the form of an installer like lagarith or does it come with another program (also WTF is WebM???)
6. Lastly does uploading a video in 60fps to youtube improve or change the final bitrate/codec for the video.

Try to go easy on me here i'm very new to this sort of thing and could be talking gibberish to some some of you. You dont have to know the answers to all of my questions but any information regarding is greatly appreciated.

Solution

Both I believe. VP9 doesn't have widespread hardware...

Bryce Demar

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Just finished reading the c-net article you linked me to, it was very informative about VP9 and the future of Google's compression technology. Although some direct responses to some of my questions would be very appreciated.

Also sometinh I forgot to add: Lets say i upload a fully uncompressed avi file... what will YouTube compress/transcode it with? VP9? H.264? Something entirely different?

Both I believe. VP9 doesn't have widespread hardware support compared to h.264

Solution