Wacom's Sketch Pen Ditches the Digitizer Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
as an artist that uses computers , for my work this sounds cool but at the same time it sounds a bit pointless , normally i sketch something to my pc , i just take it to photoshop darken the lines by adjusting the level settings , then do eraser clean up woolah , no need to digital trace my drawing to get a clean image .

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Kevin, as a Wacom user I am intrigue on this technology as this pen also uses a real ink cartridge inside. I checked on Wacom web page and the package includes 4 spare pen ink cartridges. It was not obvious to me because I am so used to my "all digital" Wacom pen. It is odd to discover they figure how to solve this. Great! For the next Wacom product I want one with a pencil or crayon tip, Please.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
demonhorde665

I don't know if this is obvious to you (I needed to go to Wacom's web), but this pen does not depends on a computer at all. You can take it everywhere and use it on a regular drawer sketch book. But is oriented specifically to ink technique not pencil, airbrush, etc.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]as an artist that uses computers , for my work this sounds cool but at the same time it sounds a bit pointless , normally i sketch something to my pc , i just take it to photoshop darken the lines by adjusting the level settings , then do eraser clean up woolah , no need to digital trace my drawing to get a clean image .[/citation]This is for folks who want the line-work in vector format. While someone could just go and draw right in illustrator, some people still like to draw on paper. This is essentially "digitizing" the image rather than just copying it as a jpeg and doing some clean-up on it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i LOVE wacom products. but what i realy want is a tablet from them.

a pen, a tablet, and i would be in heaven.

sadly a tablet just for drawing would cost allot for very little, so i wish they would lissense out their tech to a tablet manufacture so we can get a tablet with a wacom inside, but sell it as a normal tablet too, that way it brings cost down. i cant spend 2k on a monitor alone, but i could drop 500 on a tablet if it had wacom in it.

G

love the concept but it has to be able to scale up larger than A4/letter size before it can have practical applications

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i LOVE wacom products. but what i realy want is a tablet from them. a pen, a tablet, and i would be in heaven. sadly a tablet just for drawing would cost allot for very little, so i wish they would lissense out their tech to a tablet manufacture so we can get a tablet with a wacom inside, but sell it as a normal tablet too, that way it brings cost down. i cant spend 2k on a monitor alone, but i could drop 500 on a tablet if it had wacom in it.[/citation]
Well, that 'kind of' exists as the Cintiq line effectively as LCD displays built into an Intuos, but you better have a money tree in your back yard if you want one. A 500$ wacom tablet seems really unlikely considering how much they charge for just their Intuos lines.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i LOVE wacom products. but what i realy want is a tablet from them. a pen, a tablet, and i would be in heaven. sadly a tablet just for drawing would cost allot for very little, so i wish they would lissense out their tech to a tablet manufacture so we can get a tablet with a wacom inside, but sell it as a normal tablet too, that way it brings cost down. i cant spend 2k on a monitor alone, but i could drop 500 on a tablet if it had wacom in it.[/citation]
You can buy touch laptops that have Wacom digitizers built into their screens. I have an HP tx2517cl with the Wacom "Penabled" sticker on it. HP doesn't make them anymore, but you can get similar laptops from Lenovo and other manufacturers.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Well, that 'kind of' exists as the Cintiq line effectively as LCD displays built into an Intuos, but you better have a money tree in your back yard if you want one. A 500$ wacom tablet seems really unlikely considering how much they charge for just their Intuos lines.[/citation]

[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]You can buy touch laptops that have Wacom digitizers built into their screens. I have an HP tx2517cl with the Wacom "Penabled" sticker on it. HP doesn't make them anymore, but you can get similar laptops from Lenovo and other manufacturers.[/citation]

the way that im thinking, is that tablets, at least drawing tablets, are specialty items, and cost more because of it. no one is buying them in bulk.

but if you put the tech to a tablet (what most people think of when you say tablet) the tech should come down significantly in price. i would pay an extra 100$ for an ipad or such for a wacom quality pen interface, but i dont want to pay close to 900-1700$ extra for it (what they currently charge for a 12 inch display is 1000, and a 1600x1200 21 inch is 2000)

that said there is a pen for ipad they make, going to look into that a bit more, even if its just a more accurate finger replacement.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Been using Tablet PCs for quite some time now... why would I move away from drawing on the screen directly? A 12" cintiq is the same price as the full laptop, and the 21" Cintiq is twice the price.

I can see a use for this device, but I see it more as the death of the tablet PC - almost all manufactures now prefer to make touch tabs instead. Maybe if they had marketed a tablet PC to the digital artist instead of the corporate note taker it would have succeeded....

kmedits

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
This looks awesome. As someone just learning illustrator, I feel this will really help me out. Does anyone think it will ever be possible to convert the Inkling to a regular tablet? I don't see why not, and if Wacom won't offer this, you think its possible to hack it into one??

kmedits

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
This looks awesome. As someone just learning illustrator, I feel this will really help me out. Does anyone think it will ever be possible to convert the Inkling to a regular tablet? I don't see why not, and if Wacom won't offer this, you think its possible to hack it into one??

Status
Not open for further replies.