Distinguished
May 17, 2008
'a fierce iPod Touch contender'
This is something Google really needs to kick Apple in the teeth
Shame they stuck with tegra 2 when tegra 3 is round the corner :/

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
a fierce ipod contender with double the apple tax.... 550 for the 64gb model? why not buy a tablet of some sort?

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"Shame they stuck with tegra 2 when tegra 3 is round the corner :/"

eeeh...it's MUSIC player...I'm sure Tegra 2 is more than enough for a music player...

and if Sony and Google worked out to include Google Music, then it would be an instant hit!!!

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I was excited to read the headline thinking that was finally an alternative to an ipod touch, but the price? wtf? Since when is the apple version cheaper?

This product will be a dud unless they drop the price of the 16GB model to $220-230 to compete with the 8GB ipod. Judging by the $360 projected price, I don't think that is going to happen.

Sony FAIL.

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]"Shame they stuck with tegra 2 when tegra 3 is round the corner "eeeh...it's MUSIC player...I'm sure Tegra 2 is more than enough for a music player...and if Sony and Google worked out to include Google Music, then it would be an instant hit!!![/citation]

Right. Kill innovation already please?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
These companies have no clue when it comes to making a competitive product.

Too expensive Sony, get a clue! Why would you think anyone would buy this over the wel established iPod touch?

The trend seems to be, copy something Apple does 2-3 years after the fact and expect people to pay more for less. This is what we've seen with tablets, phones, and now a music player.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Bad luck,the walkman z doen't support any telephony features or it would be a hit with me. I usually buy sony products,because they make quite a good quality,infact excellent quality products.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
So far in all the posts, we agree that the cost of the unit is projected to be set a bit high. If the intent is to be a market contender (and actually sell units), then the price definitely needs to be substantially less than the iPod, and also far less than a tablet. The one thing that would definitely set itself apart from and cannibalize Apple sales would be the ability to play PlayStation games. What a great combo unit that would be… every kid in the world would want one…

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]These companies have no clue when it comes to making a competitive product. Too expensive Sony, get a clue! Why would you think anyone would buy this over the wel established iPod touch? The trend seems to be, copy something Apple does 2-3 years after the fact and expect people to pay more for less. This is what we've seen with tablets, phones, and now a music player.[/citation]

Agreed. And Apple is innovating with old technology, yet charging premiums for it. Apple has vision that everyone failed to bring to the market. Everyone is trying to catch up, rather than innovate themselves.

Dear Sony, you have the resources to be a "first time to market" company... you have always been in the past (thanks for the walkman way back in the late 70's, early 80's)... now bring something to the market that Apple would have to catch up and copy from you, not the other way around - maybe for starters, make this product part of your PlayStation suite of products.

G

rofl... how much tech do they think people carry with them on any given day? I guess I need to get to work on my own personal Batman Utility belt to carry all this stuff.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"high-fidelity"? Until I see a 24/96 DAC and a dedicated headphone amp, I don't see any high-fidelity in this small media player compare to the others.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]BruceOTB[/nom]Right. Kill innovation already please?[/citation]
Using a slightly older processor instead of the new one is killing innovation? By that same argument, PC games that can be adjusted to play on a weaker system are killing innovation...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
This is awesome - I can pay so much more for similar size (memory) hardware and for something that doesn't have the established software/ecosystem of the iPod Touch - and which has the potential of being orphaned (like all the other iPod/iPad contenders)...cool.

Sometimes I wonder what this mf'ers are thinking.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This is something the Android camp needed 3 years ago. Honestly, I can't believe it took companies 3 years to analyze the formula of Apple's success.

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
A smartphone does everything this thing does, and makes phone calls. It's the same concept of buying an ipod touch or ipod of any kind over an iphone.....why the hell would you do that when you can just get the same thing but have the ability to make a phone call also? This just baffles my mind.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]gmp23[/nom]A smartphone does everything this thing does, and makes phone calls. It's the same concept of buying an ipod touch or ipod of any kind over an iphone.....why the hell would you do that when you can just get the same thing but have the ability to make a phone call also? This just baffles my mind.[/citation]

Maybe those that buy the iPod touch want all the features of the iPhone without being tied to a carrier for phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS