Status
Not open for further replies.

leonalex12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
So I have a bunch of wallpapers on my hands 1440x900 and higher. My monitor is 1440x900, so that is 16:10. Most of the wallpapers I have are 16:10. Now, I want to re-size those so that when my background changes, they won't be stretched or cut off (I'm on W7 and currently have my backgrounds set to 'Fill').

What I'm looking for is something that will let me re-size all of these in a few clicks. Of course (or maybe not), I don't want them to get distorted. So what I would like is to be able to cut any 16:10 ones into 16:9 and THEN change them to 1440x900.

Anybody got any ideas?

Solution
Basically it sounds like you want to scale your over-sized backgrounds down to 1440x900 without distorting them. For this you can use GIMP.

Load the over sized image in GIMP and select the Crop Tool. Highlight an area in the image. Then go to the tool box and down towards the bottom under Size change the resolution to 1440x900. You can then move the crop box around the image until you get a part you want. When it looks good just left click on the crop box and the image will be cropped.

If you want more of the image inside that crop box follow what I said earlier but also tick the fixed aspect ratio box. Now you can expand the crop box and it will keep the aspect ratio. Choose your desired cropped section and again left click to...

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Basically it sounds like you want to scale your over-sized backgrounds down to 1440x900 without distorting them. For this you can use GIMP.

Load the over sized image in GIMP and select the Crop Tool. Highlight an area in the image. Then go to the tool box and down towards the bottom under Size change the resolution to 1440x900. You can then move the crop box around the image until you get a part you want. When it looks good just left click on the crop box and the image will be cropped.

If you want more of the image inside that crop box follow what I said earlier but also tick the fixed aspect ratio box. Now you can expand the crop box and it will keep the aspect ratio. Choose your desired cropped section and again left click to crop. Then go into image, scale and change the image to the resolution of choice. Under Quality choose Sinc (Lancos3).

Goodluck.

Solution

leonalex12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Did that and it is exactly what I want. Just two things though:

1. What is the difference in the quality settings?

2. I'd like to be able to automate this. Any way to do it?

leonalex12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I was doing this differently before and it took a bit longer. This is much easier, thanks!

However, I have like 300 images (and more coming!) that I need to do this to so automation would be great. I know it can be done in Photoshop, but well. There's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS