Wanna replace subwoofer on samsung surround sound

sourkraut619

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello,
i have a samsung ht d5300 surround sound. i wanna replace the sub with a better one. such as the klipsch 10" 450 watt powered sub. can i do this and how what would i need extra to make this work. the connections on the back of receiver are just standard speaker wire connections. Also would the be any issues with damage concerns?? Any info would be appreciated

Thanks,

SourKraut

woltergrant

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I am looking to do this same thing although no one replied to your question. Did you ever hook another sub up to it and if so what did you have to do?

sourkraut619

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

I have not done this yet. I was kinda waiting to see if anybody did this yet. I have decided that I am gonna do it soon. Will post on this thread how it goes, sounds, etc.....

Please post if you find anything on this

"Sour"

woltergrant

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I have looked into this manner further and this is what i have discovered. To start off the subwoofer you are looking at (klipsch sw-450) for $450 on amazon and $470 at best buy is not the best option :pfff: . If you want to stay in the ten inch range you should go for the HSU VTF-1 click here. This sub blows that klipsch out of the water, it doesn't even compare and it will save you money costing $399. Although if you are willing to go to the 12" range I suggest the BIC PL-200 click here saving you even a little more money at $330 on amazon click here. Both the BIC and the HSU are very comparable as far as bang for your buck goes.
Once you have your subwoofer chosen there are two different ways to hook it up to your Samsung ht d5300. Option 1 will deliver the best performance and highest quality sound, and option 2 will have substantial drop in quality but may be a little bit easier hook up.

1) The subwoofer that comes with the blu-ray player does not have an amplifier, therefore the subwoofer out on the player has "speaker level" output (high power). While the rca sub in on amplified subwoofers requires a "line level" output (very low power). This brings up the need for this high to low line output converter click here. For this setup you will plug this cable click here into the subwoofer port on the back of your blu-ray player, then connect the speaker wire at the end of this cable into the right channel input of the converter shown above, then take a subwoofer cable such as this click here and connect it to the right channel output on the converter, routing the opposite end to the sub in on your woofer.

2) All of these subs have the ability to connect without the sub in connection. You simply disconnect the wires from your front left and right speakers and connect them to the "From Receiver" input on the subwoofer, then run speaker wire from the "Out To speakers" output to both your front right and left speakers.

Hope this guide helped. Please reply back with your plan, I am very interested.

Grant Wolter