wanna swap cpu in a dell latitude e6220

cosmicduck10

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
so it comes with a i7 2620qm and i wanna swap it out for something better like a i7 2640qm iv also heard i can get a i7 2630 which is lower clock speed but quad core is there anything better than this also can the 2630 even be put in this laptop

hang-the-9

Titan
Swapping CPUs in laptops is touchy unless you can find online someone that did it to your exact model and can verify that it worked, or the service manual lists the CPU as compatible. Even if the CPU fits the socket does not mean it will work on the motherboard. So do a web search see what you can find, if nothing, buy the CPU, cross your fingers, do a BIOS update if one is available and try it.

For about a 7 year old CPU, so system is about that old, I would replace the hard drive with a solid state and add more RAM before I touch anything else.

hang-the-9

Titan
Swapping CPUs in laptops is touchy unless you can find online someone that did it to your exact model and can verify that it worked, or the service manual lists the CPU as compatible. Even if the CPU fits the socket does not mean it will work on the motherboard. So do a web search see what you can find, if nothing, buy the CPU, cross your fingers, do a BIOS update if one is available and try it.

For about a 7 year old CPU, so system is about that old, I would replace the hard drive with a solid state and add more RAM before I touch anything else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 13
S Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 3
W Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
Z Laptop Tech Support 3