Want a "good" 5.1 system for PC gaming

malibu35072

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
So I like PC gaming PCMR and all that. I like PC gaming without a headset often. Sweaty ears and not being able to hear anybody around the house gets old.

I have a 2.1 system, an old Logitech THX kit though I can't begin to recall the model and such.

I would like to upgrade to a 5.1 set up for dat sweet surround sound goodness. But looking at the sound system market makes my head spin. It seems nobody makes PC-ready 5.1 kits these day and Logitech's speaker offerings have reportedly taken a hard nosedive in quality since I bought mine.

I have a budget of under $500 USD with something like sub $250 being ideal but I'll happily pay for quality. As for sound quality "good" is about what I am looking for. No obvious flaws in the sound, and nice to listen to. I don't care to spend for audiophile quality. I just wanna have fun playing games with some upped immersion. If I wanna audiophile out I'll plug in my studio monitor style headphones.

I have a soundblaster Z Soundcard so I am 5.1 ready, and would like to use TosLInk to connect. Yes yes, I know, get a DAC, I'm not paying for DAC when I can't detect any EMI noise via the soundblaster (I bought that because my MB sound EMI'ed like a mother---- btw.)

I was looking at : http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB4051-C0-Wireless-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00SMBGP76/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

But I fear it might have a tiny lag between the front speakers and the Bluetooth surround. Hearing all those sharp, in-game sound effects like gunshots twice would be super annoying! That and I don't wanna pay more for the 40" just so the L and R channels can actually fit around my dual 27" monitors.

I would prefer a compact set up that doesn't stick me with trying to fit a huge 14x12x7 head unit on my desk. I'm kinda running out of room to put gear at my battle station so compact solutions are good.

Could I get some recommendations? I'll likely be putting the satellite speakers on stands. And maybe wall-mounting L R and Center.

Solution
I used to run with T7700 speakers, but the wire logistics...

I was looking at the same options you are now about 8 months ago and then decided on on a Bose Companion 5 system. It processes 5.1 in an Acoustamass sub unit + 2 desk speaker combo. The system has its own sound processor and connects by USB. It's amazing what that company can do with a couple of speakers and how it puts sounds all around you. Don't get me wrong, the positional audio of my Razer Tiamat headset can't be beat by anything I've tried so far, but the Bose set really does great surround in a very "clean" minimalistic setup.

I just wanted to give you something to consider in your price range, since I was in the same boat around 8 months ago...
G

Ooh you might be in luck :D If you were thinking more than $100 scratch that, I bought a Logitech z506 from eBay. It was brand new unopened and I paid $60 look around on eBay/Amazon with "Logitech z506" and you will find a new one from trusted brands such as bestbuy. I personally love these speakers but just know this is for average bedroom sized rooms. Also be wary most games that support 5.1 aren't set to it, so in each game go to audio settings and then choose 5.1 surround. Anyway I hope I solved your issue and saved a couple hundred:D

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I used to run with T7700 speakers, but the wire logistics...

I was looking at the same options you are now about 8 months ago and then decided on on a Bose Companion 5 system. It processes 5.1 in an Acoustamass sub unit + 2 desk speaker combo. The system has its own sound processor and connects by USB. It's amazing what that company can do with a couple of speakers and how it puts sounds all around you. Don't get me wrong, the positional audio of my Razer Tiamat headset can't be beat by anything I've tried so far, but the Bose set really does great surround in a very "clean" minimalistic setup.

I just wanted to give you something to consider in your price range, since I was in the same boat around 8 months ago...

Solution