Want to connect my set-top box to external speakers

harsh_hk

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
My STB has one AV out port and one S/PDIF (digital optical audio) out port. What kind of speakers I need to look at? If I am not wrong, the AV out port is the stereo 3.5mm port, isn't it? Would it connect to a speaker which has rca (red and white) ports. I want the cheapest option. Please look at the image http://imgur.com/BarWkpj

harsh_hk

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
3.5mm to RCA lead will do you fine there. I use several myself to connect my PC to my old non-digital hi-fi amplifiers.

Thanks. My STB is connected to my TV through HDMI. The problem is my TV internal speakers aren't working well. So, would a setup with STB to TV through HDMI and STB to speakers through Stereo to RCA , work simultaneously?

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Should be fine - you tend to find that poor designs of hardware will physically limit you from plugging in items that won't work together (I'm thinking specifically of the Xbox 360 that won't let you have separate audio out at the same time as HDMI as it covers the socket unlike the PS3).

You may find some lag between the audio and the video as TV's add a lot of lag as they do their post-processing work to make the picture better so your sound is out of sync (earlier) than the picture. If so, the cheapest way to get around that is to plug the 3.5mm audio into the headphone socket of the TV rather than messing about with 73.234354 ms delay settings on an A/V amp :D