Want to move up from a Nikon D5000

MissFightstar7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hello, I purchased my Nikon D5000 a couple of years ago and I have had so much fun with it!
Lately I have been looking at my images and wanting more.
I am looking to produce sharper images, I am studying and really looking to get into wedding photography - I cannot afford a pro camera but something to get me started.
I have been looking at the Sony Alpha 580 also the Nikon D7000, I am open to any brand - some help with this would be great!
Thank you.

ponnu

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Hi there, just a few quick thoughts to your post.

I think you'd do well with either the Alpha 580 or D7000. If you are comfortable with the Nikon system and want to stay with the APS-C (DX) format, then D7000 is a logical step. Compared to the D5000, it has more manual-based controls for faster setting changes, dual memory card slot (backup is critical for weddings), and substantially better performance for low-light, indoor shoots. The 39-point AF may also help depending on the scenario and your shooting style. One thing you may miss is the articulated screen if you often shoot at unusual angles :)

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that upgrading your camera body will NOT help you produce sharper images. In fact, you would probably have to spend time re-familiarising with the new body and its 'quirks' to get your shots as sharp as the current body-lens combo. Getting a sharp image is all about understanding your body's AF system and the "sweet spot" of the lens.

Finally, I would highly recommend being a second shooter to an experienced wedding photographer. Wedding photography is generally a whirlwind of chaos, emotions and the unexpected. It is very easy to be overwhelmed and miss everything. You can plan as meticulously as you want but nothing beats experience when it comes to knowing how to interact with people and where and when you have to be to get that right shot.

Good luck!

MsPhoto

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Sharpness comes down to two things, lens quality and technique. Both could be improved without replacing your D5000. Depending on what you shoot, look at the 35/1.8G, 50/1.8G or 85/1.8G as prime lenses that are VERY sharpe.. as for technique, that comes down to evaluating your shots and how you took them. A handheld landscape shot at ISO200, f11, 1/30th of a second with your kit lens zoomed to 55mm will likely display motion blur.. that same shot on a tripod will yield much sharper results.

Don't get too hung up on zooming your pics to 100% and peeping at how sharp the pixels are.

Consider renting gear as you start with weddings. Lensprotogo.com used to rent (may still) a D7000 wedding kit with a 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8VRii and a SB700 flash.. that kit, with your D5000 as a backup or 2nd body is probably the ideal starting kit for a wedding shooter.

Wedding photography is an art as much as it is a skill!

Start out assisting a seasoned wedding photographer and gain some insights over about 10 weddings. This will give you a feel for what it is like. At this point you will be in a position to decide on your own about bodies, lenses, strobes, and other related equipment. Solicit ideas from your mentor.

Good luck!