Want to put more than one bootable thing in a usb drive.

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I have a 4GB USB flash Drive and I want to put both the 64 and 32 bit Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper to better clean malware on other people's computer. Seeing that both take only 250MB of space, I want to install a bootloader like grub on the usb to boot into the 32 or 64 bit of program. Since the USB drive is 4 GB, I might even want to put another program such as Hiren's BootCD.

Is it possible to do such a thing and how can I do it?

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
The trouble I am having is getting the system sweeper tools on it. I have to actually have to install it via application. In other words, I have to click on the mssstool32.exe (or 64) and install it from there. What I am trying to do is create 2 partitions so I can put the 32 bit on one and the 64 bit on the other and get the bootloader to select either one so I don't have to have 2 usb drives for both versions. The problem I'm having is changing the removable bit. I tried Lexar's bootIt, and the USB_Multiboot, but the USB drive is still "removable media" and not fixed media that will allow to make multiple partitions.

but thanks for the link. I'll probably put XP on the usb using this tool.

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks to EASEUS Partition Master, I was able to partition the USB drive. The only problem I am having is installing GRUB4DOS. I need to know which partition is (which is (hd1,0) and such) to make the menu.lst file.

And the issue that could occur would be booting into another HDD if there was a 2nd HDD in someones computer. (Let's say (hd1,0) is the 2nd HDD on someone else's desktop and on the menu.lst file on the USB it shows the (hd1,0)
It will boot to the 2nd desktop HDD instead of the USB drive

Is there anyway to prevent that?

edit: NVM in GRUB the partitions are recognized as hd0,1 and such

nikorr

Distinguished

So, is it working?

Z-Slasher

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I got the bootloader working properly, but I can only have either the 32 bit or 64 bit on one drive for some reason. tested the program at a friends house and it just scanned without reporting if there is any malware or not.

I'm going to try just putting in HBCD, and maybe avira or other bootable scanners on my flash drive.