WD Smartware Pro vs Acronis True Image WD Edition?

A Furry Peanut

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Forgive my ignorance but which one is better?
I am hoping to have continuous back-up from my book duo to my book and a system image back-up on my passport if that makes a difference in software selection.
Why does WD even offer both anyways? 
I am running Windows 10.

Solution
Hey there, A Furry Peanut!

Both software programs are offered by us because they have different features.
The WD SmartWare Pro allows you to do continuous or scheduled backups and it's also compatible with Dropbox for cloud backup. You can also choose to do a category or a file & folder backup. However, the SmartWare software doesn't allow you to do any sort of system image backup, it's an automatic backup software for your data only.

The Acronis True Image WD Edition on the other hand, can clone drives, backup the operating system, applications, settings and all of your data, while also securely wiping any confidential data you no longer need. This utility provides you with all the essential tools you need...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, A Furry Peanut!

Both software programs are offered by us because they have different features.
The WD SmartWare Pro allows you to do continuous or scheduled backups and it's also compatible with Dropbox for cloud backup. You can also choose to do a category or a file & folder backup. However, the SmartWare software doesn't allow you to do any sort of system image backup, it's an automatic backup software for your data only.

The Acronis True Image WD Edition on the other hand, can clone drives, backup the operating system, applications, settings and all of your data, while also securely wiping any confidential data you no longer need. This utility provides you with all the essential tools you need to recover your computer system should a disaster occur, such as losing data, accidentally deleting critical files or folders, or a complete HDD crash. If failures occur that block access to your files or affect the system operations, you will be able to restore the OS and the lost data easily from the image.

Both utilities are available in the WD Software & Downloads.

Hope I was able to help out. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

ksandbank

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
Hey SuperSoph, that was helpful. A further question: can I use both Smartware and Acronis on the same computer backing up to the same MyBook? Thanks!
w

USAFRet

Illustrious

The person you're replying to is long gone...no longer a participant here.

But I see no reason why you can't do what you asked. Just don't have them do a "backup" at the same time.