Web site design// want to study need guidance!!

dev121

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello,

I recently finished my A+ ,N + and 6192A Win 7.

I would like to get into programming.

Which books would you recommend for starters.

Also dose it have to fall into an order to learn ,

1- HTML
2- MYSQL
3- PHP
4- Java

And which languages should i learn what would be the difference i have done some homework wikipedia etc but should i skip HTML to HTML5 since HTML is an old language ?

Warm regards,

Dev

Solution
If by the "old" HTML you really mean HTML4 (which you probably do), then no, you shouldn't skip it. HTML5 is largely, but not purely, a superset of HTML4, so you are essentially still learning the latter even if you aren't trying to. Many of the features which are deprecated in HTML5 are from even older HTML versions from the early-mid 90s (some were even deprecated in HTML4!).

HTML is not a programming language, it's a markup language. While you don't technically need to learn things in a strict order, it's probably worth learning HTML before any of the others if you plan to develop web applications. It won't take long because it just defines a document structure and therefore has a simple syntax and few fancy features. If you are...

randomizer

Distinguished
If by the "old" HTML you really mean HTML4 (which you probably do), then no, you shouldn't skip it. HTML5 is largely, but not purely, a superset of HTML4, so you are essentially still learning the latter even if you aren't trying to. Many of the features which are deprecated in HTML5 are from even older HTML versions from the early-mid 90s (some were even deprecated in HTML4!).

HTML is not a programming language, it's a markup language. While you don't technically need to learn things in a strict order, it's probably worth learning HTML before any of the others if you plan to develop web applications. It won't take long because it just defines a document structure and therefore has a simple syntax and few fancy features. If you are developing for the web you should also learn JavaScript so that you can make your website/web application actually do something on the client end.

Learning SQL is useful if you are going to be working with databases, which you probably will be eventually.

The final two are used for similar purposes (they handle the server side of a website/application) but are quite different beasts. Pick one or the other initially.

Solution