Which programming language should i learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunalht

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I have passed 12th.
Now I want to learn a programming language which is useful in college & in future also...
Which should I learn JAVA or HTML or C/C++ ??
I have a little knowledge of C.
which language is useful for android & iphone/ipad application & making pc games??
Is Html require for learning JAVA??
& what is the difference between HTML & HTML5 & xHtml??

Janpieter Sollie

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
if you want to program android, you 'll have to learn java. period. and no, you don't need html for that, but your knowledge of C syntax is a good start.
if you want to make PC games, you'll probably want C++, as C programming will probably bring you a few headaches with namespace issues (ok, you CAN program games in C, but do not expect too much support for it).
java programming for 3d gaming seems like a bad idea to me: usually, you need access to lower-level parts of your OS (windows / android / iOS) to create fluent 3D gaming, and java's abstraction API may be slowing things down here, or limiting your possibilities.
for Iphone / Ipad: I think you'd first get a job and a good salary, because you'll need your apps posted by the apple store :p

the difference between the html versions:
html is the oldest version, you got 5 revisions here (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
xhtml is a revision of html that has eliminated a lot of the markup possibilities of html and made it more strict concerning syntax.

html has a number of options (eg <center> </center> to specify the layout of your webpage.
but, since html 3, html programmers have begun separating the layout from the content. the layout is now stored in a supplemental language called CSS (cascading stylesheet).
html is also quite intuitive, eg: when I start a new paragraph, I don't have to mention the old one has ended. when I'm making a list, I don't have to mention my previous element has ended before starting a new one.
xHTML is way more strict than that:
you have no makeup options at all: you divide everything into blocks, give them a name, and specify in your CSS file how the layout of blocks with such a name should be.
also, if you open a paragraph, you have to close it. if you open a list item, you have to close it, etc...
xHTML is an XML compliant form of html. it is less intuitive, but is easier to parse for devices with limited CPU possibilities.

Janpieter Sollie

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
i guess HTML5 would be the best option for you: you won't be maintaining older websites, and I don't expect you to release any websites with advanced HTML5 features while the browser market is not yet HTML5 compliant.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I'm a computer science major and most of what you are going to go through is something I have experienced at one point or another, and believe it or not, if what you are trying to do is learn a language before you start classes I would like to point something out.

Most classes you will take wont teach you a language just for the sake of teaching you a language. Each school picks a language that it think is a good representation of programming languages (syntax for example) and teaches that language to new students not for the sake of knowing the language but to introduce students to programming in general. You dont go to school to learn as meny languages as you can, but instead you go there to learn how to learn a new language. It makes no sense at first, but a lot of companies use their own languages so teaching each one is futile.

If you take anything from this, know that what ever language you choose to teach yourself in the end, dont learn it for the sake of knowing the language on its surface. Dig deep, and really think why are things the way they are.

I would go for either java or C++ as they are both Object Oriented languages, and while that can be hard to learn alone, it's very useful knowledge to have.

Hope that helps :D

Tony2000

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
There are many different programming languages that you should consider when you are starting out programming. My own first foray into the world of code was with the C programming language which certainly taught me alot. Although there are a lot of easier languages out there I still think that there is something to be said for starting with C as it gives you a great grounding and a lot of the more modern languages come from this root. Take a look at www.programmingwizardry.com as there are lots of free C tutorials on there to get you started as well as loads for other languages as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.