Status
Not open for further replies.

qqq8778

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
A few days ago I went to a website from a google search (should have known better, but the safe search features said it was safe). A screen came up saying that my computer had been infected with a virus, and an audio recording said the same. It said I should call an 866 number to have McAfee (which I have on my computer, since it's a pc, but which I haven't renewed since the original subscription ran out a year or two ago) deal with it. The voice also warned me to do this before I tried to buy anything online. I couldn't close the window, so eventually did an emergency shutdown.

I've read about this online; it seems there's an actual virus version of this "scareware," as well as one that's confined to websites. I've updated and run Malwarebytes and Panda AV several times since then, including two full-system scans with Panda, and haven't found anything. Is it safe to say this was just the website? Or should I be concerned that something was downloaded to my computer as well?

Solution
Yes it is scareeware. they ask you to call which you should not best thing to do is ctrl + alt +del and log off ther computer and then log back on. Another way if ads have pop ups quickly close them beofre they can load.

noyaus

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Yes it is scareeware. they ask you to call which you should not best thing to do is ctrl + alt +del and log off ther computer and then log back on. Another way if ads have pop ups quickly close them beofre they can load.

Solution

Jugeum

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
While, I will agree that this is scareware, I am concerned that you say that you haven't uninstalled McAfee and are running Panda AV. While the scareware requires you to click on it, running Panda AV with another antivirus installed can lead to both, false negatives and false positives. Malwarebytes is designed to work with an AV without causing issues, so that's safe, but I would still suggest fully uninstalling McAfee, restarting, and running your Panda AV again.
Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.