Weird problems upon replacing keyboard on Asus Rog G750JZ

Navis

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Before I start know three things:
-We're talking about Asus Rog G750JZ
-I broke the latch on motherboard that is used to jam in the keyboard ribbon
-I bought the new keyboard plate and used plastic to jam the cables in and later used paper duck tape to make sure it stays in stop (Everything works perfectly)

Now the problem part.

When I tried to turn the laptop back on after putting everything back together it didn't turn on. So I started to unscrew bit by bit till I came to the problem and that was the optical drive.

Meaning once I removed the optical drive the laptop booted, with it it would not boot. At this point I was like o_O

Then once the laptop booted I tried to put it and and boot it up and it started SMOKING from the right side! I immediately turned it off and unplugged the optical drive.

I am so lost right now. I opened it and checked for any damage and there was none (I am still the laptop as of now and no problems appeared what so ever and keyboard still works perfectly).

I think it was the paper duck tape that somehow caught on fire because it was laying over the motherboard? Does that even make sense and even more importantly is it even possible? I maybe caused short circuit and the paper duck tape caught on fire?

I really don't know and I would like to hear what you think that was. I'll try to buy a new optical drive and see if the same problem persists as it was maybe the optical drive that was causing that issue even though everything was fine before changing the keyboard.

Thank you for any help :)

Solution
I would seriously doubt it. But there is a possibility that all that taping and kludging shorted some wires together that end up going into the optical drive.

I'm going to finally say this... Whatever you did back there starting at the point where you broke something, and everything forward has been a kludge. Kludges in electronics tend to create all kinds of problems. And you are now experiencing problems.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

Now I assume we get the reasons it is NOT working perfectly????

OMG! Smoke! You do realize that the smoke had to come from something that was almost hot enough to catch fire right? So you do need to figure out what was smoking, because if you don't, you are VERY likely to have a fire the next time you turn the computer back on.

I cannot imagine duct tape conducting electricity, nor burning. I think somewhere that you cannot see so far there were wires shorted out, and it was the insulation on those wires that were melting and burning. You must find these wires, and figure out why they were shorted out. Shorts do not just fix themselves. At least not until the whole building has burned to the ground.

Navis

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Nothing was shorted out. I put the laptop apart and checked everything. Nothing was out of ordinary. The laptop couldn't have been hot enough as it was used only for few minutes. The temperatures don't reach that high of a temperature that fast.

Is it possible it had something to do with the optic driver that it was perhaps a faulty one and only now it started to show?

P.S: All right, everything besides the optics drive works perfectly fine. It's been over a week and everything was tested from temperatures to stress testing and if something was not working correctly it would have showed up by now.

Navis

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I see I made a mistake. It is not a paper duck tape. It's not how it's called. I have no idea how to call it but it's like made from paper. That's why I said paper duck tape but I see that is another type of duck tape.

Navis

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

So there's no way optics had something to do with it nor the duck tape?

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I would seriously doubt it. But there is a possibility that all that taping and kludging shorted some wires together that end up going into the optical drive.

I'm going to finally say this... Whatever you did back there starting at the point where you broke something, and everything forward has been a kludge. Kludges in electronics tend to create all kinds of problems. And you are now experiencing problems.

Solution