Announcement Welcome to the Tom's Guide Community!

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AugieTN

Great
Jun 20, 2024
Greetings,

I never knew Tom's Guide had a forum. Lots of stuff to read and learn from here.

I started out with Palm phones and was a moderator for one of the Palm Forums. When Palm phones ended I switched to Nokia phones. When Windows bought Nokia I switched to Windows phones. When Window phones ended I switched to Google phones and have been using Google phones for a while. I currently have a Pixel 8 Pro.

I live in Illinois, but I have land and a trailer in Tennessee. I have a French wife which kind of forced me back to college to learn French.

Wife has two Siamese cats and a Pixel 7

Jun 25, 2024
Cant believe its june 2024 and i just found theres a forum here. I guess i was under a rock.
Im into all electronis and love phones, currently rocking a s24U and fold 4. Had a 5 for a few weeks and sold it because the upgrade wasnt there. Found this forum as ive got stumped on my laptop so hoping you fine people can shed some light on what i can do haha.

Jul 4, 2024
I have been a reader as a tech enthusiast for going on twenty years, with the past ten allowing me to toy with plenty of products. Not a professional (psychologist, actually) but a fan of photography and a huge nerd with any consumer tech. Currently I use a multitude of devices, some for many purposes and others for a single purpose (such as my ReMarkable 2 and taking notes with my patients). Something tells me I'll be active here since this community appears pretty kind, helpful, and informative...
I promise to try my best to not break any rules!

Jul 20, 2024
I am not at all interesting and am here because I am becoming increasingly terrified of technology as I age. The more I learn the less I know. This is true of my laptop use, my Dell laptop which has been a nightmare from the word go and started with a hinge problem that screwed up the wires and the whole system ahd to be replaced but took months to get fixed and constant no shows by technicians despite the warranty, theworst support ever, the impossibility of getting any sense out of anyone. Then there are the later iterations of Microsoft Office, handling PDFs in adobe which keep on being automatically changed into word documents making them skewed and unreadable, the constant errors I make on my old i phone in texts because of goodness knows what - the lack of commonsense predictive text (I think) and fudgy fingers. It took me months to find out how to back up my laptop after a crash (it is only three years old) on a 1 Terabyte Samsung SSD. I paid a techno to show me how and he left me feeling confident saying it will take only an hour and it took 19hours to back up! Help. I don't understand and I am beginning not to want to understand.

Jul 27, 2024
Hello,
I have followed Tomsguide for a long time. I am a professional Electronics Technician, having worked as a RADAR tech at the Memphis FAA Enroute Air Traffic Control Center for 20 years. Then joined FedEx as a Technical Advisor for IT systems, revenue mainframe, UNIX systems for package tracking, and others. I retired in 2000 and formed a Broadcast Engineering company to consult with technical issues on AM and FM transmission facilities. All these tasks and heavily automated these days, based on Windows workstations and servers. Plus, I am a hobbyist who "plays" with Linux, Windows and networking.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello,
I have followed Tomsguide for a long time. I am a professional Electronics Technician, having worked as a RADAR tech at the Memphis FAA Enroute Air Traffic Control Center for 20 years. Then joined FedEx as a Technical Advisor for IT systems, revenue mainframe, UNIX systems for package tracking, and others. I retired in 2000 and formed a Broadcast Engineering company to consult with technical issues on AM and FM transmission facilities. All these tasks and heavily automated these days, based on Windows workstations and servers. Plus, I am a hobbyist who "plays" with Linux, Windows and networking.
Welcome. You should also check out our sibling site:

Jul 31, 2024
I am a retired software designer. I started programming in 1966 so I have been here for the evolution of computing. My experiences include database systems, security systems and CAD/CAM systems. Other interests include woodworking, knife making and muzzleloader making. Current interests include Target shooting. In the past, I was a math mentor at the local schools and I worked part time as a deputy.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It used to be only Hardware Guide
You may be thinking of Tom's Hardware. It is still in place.

imekon

Great
Sep 2, 2024
Hi folks, I'm Pete, I'm a software engineer of some years. I started as an electronics engineer but switched to writing software. I started in assembly language, now I work in C++/C# on games.

I'm an Android phone user, plus a gamer on a high spec gaming laptop. I also use an older laptop with Linux Mint. I play around with Arduino, Raspberry Pi Pico and other similat gadgets.

Oh, I love cats! Don't have one right now, sadly.

Reactions: Kalfk18
Sep 29, 2024
I'm an opinionated 40-Something father of 1 that loves and reviews tech, apps, food and any thing that I form an opinion on.

Oct 7, 2024
I'm new to the forum but have been a Tomsguide reader for quite some time.
I am new to smartphones. But I've been doing computers and networking since WAY before the Internet. Back when most computer terminals were teletype machines. And I am a major digital security freak. Almost all of my online work (and about 90% of all my computer work) is done on PC's with Linux Mint. Linux is not safe. But it is "safer" than either Windows, Android, or Apple OS.
Forums like this are about as close to social media as I get.
Since my phone service provider won't allow me to use E O/S, I'm stuck with Android. But I trying to figure out, A: How to navigate around this thing (Moto G Power 5G w/Android 14), and B: How to remove as much of the Google and T-Mobile preinstalled apps (spyware) and replace them with safer, more privacy oriented apps.
I don't do games, social media, chat, make videos, do any financial transactions on my phone, or upload to the cloud. And I don't store any personal info on my phone. I keep all my passwords in a book.