Announcement Welcome to the Tom's Guide Community!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 14, 2021
HI . My name is Colin ,live in Wales UK . Just came on board as googled my problem and your site came up & instantly solved my problem caused by an automatic update. Blank screen with buffering circle. Many thanks . Retired mechanical engineer.

Nov 14, 2021
Thanks for the welcome Mo . Retired engineer from Wales UK .70 yrs old .Scheduled update blacked out my screen leaving rolling circle .Found you on google & you sorted my fault . MANY THANKS . SORRY IF THIS IS REPETITIOUS .

Nov 18, 2021
Hi, I’m AJW009, or AJ, my partner and I are pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem and are very happy there. I’m currently researching Smart Homes with a view to buying a smart doorbell, and expanding my smart home set-up in future to aid my disability. Any help with Smart Doorbells and/or Smart Locks would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2021
Hi everyone! I've loved electronics for most of my life, now retired, excited to dig into a few of my old laptops. Previously worked with SCADA and PLC's - loved it.
I started out with a Commodore 64, then a 286. Tough learning curve.

Nov 25, 2021
Hello. I'm 75 and a retired software engineer in the Detroit area who is still very much into the latest (mostly smartphone) tech. I started with a Palm Pilot and then took up Android smartphones as soon as they came out. I even wrote and marketed a fairly successful genealogy app that's still available on the Google app store (although I gave up maintaining it a couple years ago). The only annoying thing about being old and tech savvy is being patient with the "kids" in stores who look at you and assume that you're an idiot about all things technical! :)

Reactions: USAFRet and COLGeek
Dec 5, 2021
Soapstef here!! New account here because heaven only knows what happened to the last one. 🤣 Much better experience now with my new Samsung Z Fold3! I can read, reply and fact check all at once...yay. I'm 47 years old (had to pause & remember that). From Cali, but been in Tucson, AZ over 20 yrs now and realized that I do actually prefer the mountains to the ocean. Tech news help me shop...so keep it coming! 😆

Dec 16, 2021
I'm 1planenut, and I'm really frustrated with the TV manufacturers. I need audio help. Retired aircraft mechanic that can't hear.

Dec 19, 2021
Hello, I'm Paul Bob, a controls engineer and tech junky. I alway use Tom's Hardware to build another 'screamin' machine' that usually ends up as a 'Wishlist' on Amazon. I've dabbled in Arduino and many sensor applications. Had a patent design for a car alarm that used Zigbee Ethernet.

I'm interested in IOT and scada networking. I came here to this FORUM to find out more about smart home stuff.

Dec 27, 2021
Hi friends. Thanks for the warm welcome, MMohammed. I found this site with a search for a non-booting issue. I wasn't able to post my fix onto the thread that led nowhere new, so I've added my own. I believe we get ahead, not by climbing over others but by lifting each other and sharing LIFE HACKS we've learned along the way. Where would we be without sites like this, youtube, etc.

Been with Windows since version 3.1!!! Started a one-woman graphic design firm in mid 80's when being a sole entrepreneur and working from home just wasn't the thang. I considered myself a "windows warrior" for many years, taking an atypical approach in the graphics field ,using Adobe on windows rather than falling into the Apple vortex. My career allowed me to challenge my mind, channel my creativity, and help others succeed ... most importantly, our two daughters, for whom I was able to be at home and who had minimal daycare as babes. With hubby's help and the ability to work at all hours of the day/night, our girls were only in daycare a handful of hours per week, so I could offer core phone hours and attend offsite meetings.

Loved it for 30 years until my spiritual awakening/calling brought me to "the heart of healing" and an innate ability to heal, not computers and marketing dilemmas, but people. I've retired my "marketing maven" hat and now use my marketing skills to do my own web and design work.

Not so happy with the shifts Windows has made toward the Apple look/feel. If I wanted Apple I would have bought one! Felt that upgrade to windows 95 was great (system restore ... be still my heart), version 7, too ... since then ... meh! Love my Android.

Love and light, KB04090

Jan 2, 2022
Hey I'm Mack, and new here. I became disabled in 2007, after years of rehab and surgery. Finally I've have time to get into some trouble, I'm setting up a TV, Audio, and Gaming area for myself, and have found I'm way out of my league. So I'm here looking for ideas and answers. I will definitely contribute as well as listen! Thanks

Jan 3, 2022
It's a pleasure to here in this wonderful forum.

I'm Emmanuel and experienced full stack developer.

I currently work with some companies and for the fact that I use electronics daily I do face some challenges.

I'll be doing my best to contribute while I also share out my challenges to get help from others.

Looking forward to to getting something good here

hockeyrick

Prominent
Jan 10, 2022
Hi all, Rick here, from SoCal, now living in S. Mex on the Oaxacan coast. Spent 14 years in Asia(Thai/Korea) teaching English. I was drawn to this site coz its a simple, no nonsense easy to absorb site. Hope to learn a few things!

Reactions: wolfwoman

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi all, Rick here, from SoCal, now living in S. Mex on the Oaxacan coast. Spent 14 years in Asia(Thai/Korea) teaching English. I was drawn to this site coz its a simple, no nonsense easy to absorb site. Hope to learn a few things!
If you are also into PCs, check out our sibling site at Tom's Hardware:

Welcome to Tom's Guide!

Carl31

Great
Dec 21, 2021
Hi, my name is Carlos and I really enjoy learning new things and doing research. I'm into tech since always and I like to play guitare as well. Not much to say.
Here to know more stuff and helping others.

Jan 24, 2022
Hello guys i have been followin toms guide and hardware for about 10 years but i did not register an account since my solutions were already given.

how ever here i am because i have a problem where i could not find any solution.

and how is everyone?

am an android user and i use windows 10 with intel core i3- 5010u no gpu its a laptop and recently got a ssd pny cs900

Ariel Schnee

Banned
BANNED
Jan 28, 2022
---

Stands and bows

Hello!^_^

I'm new here.

Please treat me kindly now.

Sits back down

---

And that's my impersonation of a cute Japanese schoolgirl. Hope that you liked it.^_^ I'm rather proud of it.

Feb 6, 2022
Well, hello! As a newbie to this forum, I am doing as requested and posting an intro. I got my first home computer in 1991 and got on the internet as soon as possible. I had to learn DOS because GUIs hadn't been invented (or released, or whatever) yet. My first backup drive was a cassette recorder from Radio Shack. So ... yeah. I may be a newbie here, but definitely NOT a newbie to tech stuff! My two older bros are both professional computer guys, so they installed a few things on that first computer (a trash 80 if you must know), took the manuals, told me, "Don't ever type 'format:C' and just play with it." Best computer advice I've ever received! I am fearless at trying almost everything from replacing a mic or webcam to testing new software. And I bought an Oculus Quest2 in January after playing with my grandson's headset! (I may also be said to be a bit ... verbose, lol)

Feb 7, 2022
I am new to the site.
My name is Mike and I live in northern Michigan, not the UP, just the northern part of the lower peninsula.
I feel sort of odd, responding after all the others, especially since most of them say they may be able to help others. I know that 2 + 2 = 4, but not much beyond that when it comes to electronics and this TV streaming stuff I started a year ago.
i have a TCL 55" Roku TV, and we have Youtube TV, mainly because it seems to be the only one we have found that has NatGeoWild, and we are really into their programs, especially Dr. Pol
So moving along back to the topic of helping people, I don't think I will be of an help for about a couple of years, and that is a big maybe.
Lately I have been hearing words that now seem different from when I first heard them a year ago, or so.
I believe I know and understand what live TV is, but I am really getting confused with "streaming" and I think I have seen "live streaming" somewhere in print, and also the wording "on-demand". I thought this was clear when I first started, but I admit, now I am not sure that phrase is as simple as I first thought.

So there you have it___ the good, the bad, and the ugly..............................
Thank you for taking this time to read this lengthy message
Mike

Feb 7, 2022
Hi -- I'm Anne, Lisa Simpson fan. I use Apple and Windows products primarily but I've got some Android/Linux/Arduino/Raspberry Pi devices around as well. My current device obsession is the reMarkable 2 -- which I'm using to mark up an O'Reilly Python book and also a couple of knitting patterns for hats. I work as an API developer (Java + Python + AWS).

Feb 18, 2022
Hello everyone,

Since i know of this website from sometime Thus I came here looking for advices / recommendations for tech i wish to have.

Many thanks,
Mal