Announcement Welcome to the Tom's Guide Community!

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 5, 2022
I'm trying to post a thread in the Android smartphones section but it won't let me, any particular reason?

Jul 7, 2022
Hi, I am Lynn, and I love cell phones, but they drive me crazy when it gets technical :) So I am hoping and praying you all will put up with me and teach me things that I should know, about phones, companies and simple phone tech. Thank you in advance! Lynn

Jul 17, 2022
Good morning Guy's & Gals
I am a retired Electro-Mechanical Engineer I fix laptops to keep my brain busy.
I was doing quite nicely thanks that's till Covid raised its ugly head 🤔 🤭
Stay safe and keep out of the sun, (no doubt I will have to edit that later)
Cheers
Tony

Jul 20, 2022
Hello! I am new. I love the site so far and am hoping to learn a few things along the way! Nice to meet you all!

Jul 25, 2022
Hello! Just Joined Tomsguide forum. Very excited to learn new hacks and tips related to computers, laptop, mobile and other tech gadgets. Currently, I am using a Windows laptop and apple iphone. Would also love to help other members of the forum.

Jul 27, 2022
Hi all. I am new here and although I have been using electronic gear for years, the older I get the more confusing it seems to be. I am in my 70s and currently use all Apple computers.

The reason I am here is to learn about streaming tv. I am tired of paying well over $100 a month and just getting the same movies offered over and over. So, I need to ask some questions on how streaming works.

Jul 27, 2022
Hi everyone I am a 73 year old geriatric living in God's own personal garden West Wales
6 months ago I purchased a gaming laptop although I have never played games - it's a
Asus G732XLS ROG STRIX Cost me over 3K but I liked the spec - my 14 year old Grandson installed another 32 meg of memory so now she has 64meg - she worked initially but now she will not go past the start up Asus logo screen - so I have my hands full trying to sort it out - being as it ran initially I don't think it's the memory or at least I hope not -

Jul 31, 2022
Hello, been using PCs for several years now but still know little more than when I started...
I'll be asking more questions than answering them, lol...

Aug 8, 2022
Hi Tom
Hash is my name from Jakarta Indonesia.
I using IOS and Android phones and a Lonovo laptop.
Thank u

Aug 18, 2022
Hello Everyone: Tv IS my life now. Well, besides my 3 legged Chi who watches with me, I mean really, who wants to watch alone. Best friend I ever had. Between his allergies, mine and the cost of living these days, it's what we do.

Not a computer person or savy about tv. Recently switched from dish satellite to cable (cost). 75 and still working part time just to make ends meet. Tv is (like) my only outlet. Have lots of favorites but some come on at the same time AND I sometimes record an entire season and then just binge on weekend. Problem is: I cancelled dish and ordered cable from the mobile home park I live in. Turns out the cable co. they use is dish, uses the same cable. I want to record, but am getting confused with all the different answers and equipment and computer apps I am getting.

For instance: get a generic tv tuner to record. So a tv tuner is the same as a dvr? Or do I need a tuner and a dvr and a internet app with windows (I use google)? There is no box with the cable I am getting, no card, and no dvr. I asked the park and they do not have and have no ability to get. On the one hand not very convienient, on the other, $70 dollars less than what I was paying which will make a huge difference in my budget.

So, I just need some really simple answers on what I need, what to purchase, how much and where.

PS: We are streaming the Animal Planet Shows so my Chi "Thunder" the wonder dog is happy.

Reactions: DaleAPlatt
Jul 31, 2022
Hello Everyone: Tv IS my life now. Well, besides my 3 legged Chi who watches with me, I mean really, who wants to watch alone. Best friend I ever had. Between his allergies, mine and the cost of living these days, it's what we do.

Not a computer person or savy about tv. Recently switched from dish satellite to cable (cost). 75 and still working part time just to make ends meet. Tv is (like) my only outlet. Have lots of favorites but some come on at the same time AND I sometimes record an entire season and then just binge on weekend. Problem is: I cancelled dish and ordered cable from the mobile home park I live in. Turns out the cable co. they use is dish, uses the same cable. I want to record, but am getting confused with all the different answers and equipment and computer apps I am getting.

For instance: get a generic tv tuner to record. So a tv tuner is the same as a dvr? Or do I need a tuner and a dvr and a internet app with windows (I use google)? There is no box with the cable I am getting, no card, and no dvr. I asked the park and they do not have and have no ability to get. On the one hand not very convienient, on the other, $70 dollars less than what I was paying which will make a huge difference in my budget.

So, I just need some really simple answers on what I need, what to purchase, how much and where.

PS: We are streaming the Animal Planet Shows so my Chi "Thunder" the wonder dog is happy.
That's understandable and I'm afraid I don't have any more of an answer other than you have to contact the providers directly...

Or you might contact the local phone company serving your area... I lived in a Trailer Park for too many years and they are at best low-income hell...
Good services are hard to get because the providers can't justify the cost of the infrastructure due to the average low-income status of the inhabitants...
The best I ever managed was DSL through the Phone company... :(

ASK THE COMMUNITY