Announcement Welcome to the Tom's Guide Community!

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 7, 2022
Hi, I am Lynn, and I love cell phones, but they drive me crazy when it gets technical :) So I am hoping and praying you all will put up with me and teach me things that I should know, about phones, companies and simple phone tech. Thank you in advance! Lynn

Reactions: DaleAPlatt
Jul 27, 2022
Hi all. I am new here and although I have been using electronic gear for years, the older I get the more confusing it seems to be. I am in my 70s and currently use all Apple computers.

The reason I am here is to learn about streaming tv. I am tired of paying well over $100 a month and just getting the same movies offered over and over. So, I need to ask some questions on how streaming works.

Jul 27, 2022
Hi everyone I am a 73 year old geriatric living in God's own personal garden West Wales
6 months ago I purchased a gaming laptop although I have never played games - it's a
Asus G732XLS ROG STRIX Cost me over 3K but I liked the spec - my 14 year old Grandson installed another 32 meg of memory so now she has 64meg - she worked initially but now she will not go past the start up Asus logo screen - so I have my hands full trying to sort it out - being as it ran initially I don't think it's the memory or at least I hope not -

Jul 31, 2022
Hello, been using PCs for several years now but still know little more than when I started...
I'll be asking more questions than answering them, lol...

Aug 18, 2022
Hello Everyone: Tv IS my life now. Well, besides my 3 legged Chi who watches with me, I mean really, who wants to watch alone. Best friend I ever had. Between his allergies, mine and the cost of living these days, it's what we do.

Not a computer person or savy about tv. Recently switched from dish satellite to cable (cost). 75 and still working part time just to make ends meet. Tv is (like) my only outlet. Have lots of favorites but some come on at the same time AND I sometimes record an entire season and then just binge on weekend. Problem is: I cancelled dish and ordered cable from the mobile home park I live in. Turns out the cable co. they use is dish, uses the same cable. I want to record, but am getting confused with all the different answers and equipment and computer apps I am getting.

For instance: get a generic tv tuner to record. So a tv tuner is the same as a dvr? Or do I need a tuner and a dvr and a internet app with windows (I use google)? There is no box with the cable I am getting, no card, and no dvr. I asked the park and they do not have and have no ability to get. On the one hand not very convienient, on the other, $70 dollars less than what I was paying which will make a huge difference in my budget.

So, I just need some really simple answers on what I need, what to purchase, how much and where.

PS: We are streaming the Animal Planet Shows so my Chi "Thunder" the wonder dog is happy.

Jul 31, 2022
Hello Everyone: Tv IS my life now. Well, besides my 3 legged Chi who watches with me, I mean really, who wants to watch alone. Best friend I ever had. Between his allergies, mine and the cost of living these days, it's what we do.

Not a computer person or savy about tv. Recently switched from dish satellite to cable (cost). 75 and still working part time just to make ends meet. Tv is (like) my only outlet. Have lots of favorites but some come on at the same time AND I sometimes record an entire season and then just binge on weekend. Problem is: I cancelled dish and ordered cable from the mobile home park I live in. Turns out the cable co. they use is dish, uses the same cable. I want to record, but am getting confused with all the different answers and equipment and computer apps I am getting.

For instance: get a generic tv tuner to record. So a tv tuner is the same as a dvr? Or do I need a tuner and a dvr and a internet app with windows (I use google)? There is no box with the cable I am getting, no card, and no dvr. I asked the park and they do not have and have no ability to get. On the one hand not very convienient, on the other, $70 dollars less than what I was paying which will make a huge difference in my budget.

So, I just need some really simple answers on what I need, what to purchase, how much and where.

PS: We are streaming the Animal Planet Shows so my Chi "Thunder" the wonder dog is happy.
That's understandable and I'm afraid I don't have any more of an answer other than you have to contact the providers directly...

Or you might contact the local phone company serving your area... I lived in a Trailer Park for too many years and they are at best low-income hell...
Good services are hard to get because the providers can't justify the cost of the infrastructure due to the average low-income status of the inhabitants...
The best I ever managed was DSL through the Phone company... :(

Aug 19, 2022
I just posted in how to use Telegram, which is how I found Tom's.

I grew up in Silicon Valley, then known as home of the prune pickers, 76 years ago, got hooked on computers, bought my first computer in 1982, it was not my last, working in material control and having a fascination for surplus stores, did not succeed, especially with a hobby that steps up every two years, grew up with automobiles, went from watching 34 Fords destroy themselves on a oval, to collecting data on Thousand horse Jr Fuel vintage dragster, rode a bicycle quite a bit to beat the price of gas when available, vacated Silicon Valley 24 years ago with all my collections, had a friend that let me park on his property in the middle of Central Valley, this is not my country living, I have downsized and have a few more projects to go and I will be out of the heat, and dirt

Aug 25, 2022
Welcome to The Tom’s Guide Community!

We are the premiere venue of discussion for all types of tech experts and enthusiasts. We’ve set up this introductions thread so our users can get to know each other a little more.

If you’ve just registered to the site, please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.

If you’re a long-time veteran of Tom’s Guide, we also encourage you to re-introduce yourself for those who might be lurking about the site.

I’ll go first: I’m Josh, one of two Assistant Community Managers for Tom’s Guide. I'm currently a level 7 Inox Brute in Gloomhaven, and a hobbyist game designer in my spare time. I'm obsessed with tech and have been building PCs since middle school (don't even think about trying to date me).
Good morning Mr Josh, i am a android user ,extremely new at posting anything , i have seen toms guide from time to time pop up, trying to figure out how to work a windows dvr/webcam recorder with a bunker hill colored sec system w/night vision together and thought know would be a good time to jump in and maybe learn a little something.

Feb 26, 2022
Hi I'm Dom. Ive been hovering around trying to find a good UK site since Giz UK died. this will do.

Sep 27, 2022
Hi, I'm a tech enthusiast who loves to use the latest gadgets. Look forward to learning more and sharing my learnings with others here.

Oct 4, 2022
Hello guys.
I'm Giovanni, I'm Italian and live in Italy. I'm a mechanical engineer with passion for electronics and dyi.
I love Arduino, domotic and i try to repair by myself my broken things like a motorbike or a TV...
I hope I can be useful to someone and get as well useful information for me.
Nice to hear from you.
Giovanni

Oct 6, 2022
Welcome to The Tom’s Guide Community!

We are the premiere venue of discussion for all types of tech experts and enthusiasts. We’ve set up this introductions thread so our users can get to know each other a little more.

If you’ve just registered to the site, please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.

Hi guys. I'm interested in quality audio playback. I run exclusively AIFF data files through an Arcam rDAC and up to a pair of Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic loudspeakers, fully 32 square feet of transducer area. It sounds spectacular.

I have extensive experience A/B testing various media formats and software codecs. One surprising thing I've found is how good FM radio demodulation can be. I run a plain old dipole antenna through an Adcom GFT-555 tuner. In good atmospheric conditions, it sounds spectacular. (Although it generally wants for gain compared to other sources.)

Play it loud.

Mikey

Oct 19, 2022
Hi,
I'm British, from London, currently residing in beautiful Greece. (Wouldn't you?)

I'm here looking for a new tech home (with the NotebookReview Forums now, sadly, demised.
I'm a multi-laptop user with now rather old equipment, I'm currently looking into upgrading:

Dell Precision M6800 Laptop ,3.7ghz ,16GB, Win 7,AMD FirePro M6100
Alienware M17xR4 Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz

And a Lenovo x240 (for travel).

I am a freelance graphic designer and general web designer (all-rounder) using Adobe Creative Suite.
Currently introducing myself to Blender.

Great to be here!

Nov 10, 2022
Hello, my name is Mike. I'm from Canada.

Avid Android user, love to tinker with anything electrical or mechanical even. Like to collect and try different audio equipment, could be called a bass head but I like all frequencies lol. I like my stereos to be able to shake my house or vehicles while still being able to hear all the nuances of different instruments and sounds in songs and artist's work.

Joined to learn whatever I can and possibly ask a few questions of my own here and there. Have been taking electronics apart and putting them back together to learn what makes them tick since I was 10. Not an electrical wizard by any means but am usually not scared to jump into a new project.

Glad to be here and good day to all.