Westinghouse Digital is Teasing a 110" 4K LED TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
in the mean time the vast majority of these 4k tv's are ether too big for many peoples rooms or too costly for people to even care about.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Maximum size for my space is 65". I can't personally see a difference on TV and vids between 720 and 1080p, doubt 4k will do anything for me other than waste money that'd go toward retirement.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Purchase price: $24,999.99
Installation and repair costs: $15,782.43
Watching a movie at home with better quality than in a theater: USELESS

Nevermind what I'd have to do to my house to get this to the movie room in the basement; there's still practically no 4k content available. Also, what happened to 3D? If by "other surprises" they mean passive or glasses-free 3D, then that would be interesting. But offering such a large TV at this price level and supporting only active-glasses 3D or no 3D at all would be puzzling.

The poor TV industry really doesn't know what to do with itself, it would seem.

lancero

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
At that size I'll happily give up my 100" front projector. Wonder what the ultimate price for these will be in a few years...maybe $2,000 (plus BIG shipping).

G

I already have a projector screen with a size comparable to these TVs, so I'll just wait for an affordable 4k projector. Of course, without 4k media there really is no point.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Just buy 4K (or 1080p) Goggles and use true surround sound head phones are you are set. Buy a huge TV isn't logical unless you plan on hosting parties

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Westinghouse is a B grade brand. Although Westinghouse name is as old as Edison (see "current wars"), nobody really heard of Westinghouse TVs 15 years ago. Discount retailers (walmart) like them because they can sell them cheaper than a comparable Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or LG. Fact of the matter is they are cheaper because they use cheaper panels.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Unless broadcasters are broadcasting in full native 1080p and companies like Comcast are not compressing their HD streams into piss poor quality then is there is NO point in buying. I can't even enjoy my current 1080p tv unless I am watching blu-ray. Don't get me wrong, this tech is great but what is the point? Its like buying a Ferrari F-50 but with no suitable road to drive it on.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Q: How do you get 4K content into any of these 4K TVs? Is there a connection technology that supports that (DisplayPort? Dual-link DVI?), or do they all simply scale 1080p?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
4k = waste of money there is nothing in 4k format in North America yet most major studios only output 1080p for consumer use it will be years before there is a consumer 4k media.
Cable companies are still broadcasting SD there are few HD channels still.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]4k = waste of money there is nothing in 4k format in North America yet most major studios only output 1080p for consumer use it will be years before there is a consumer 4k media.Cable companies are still broadcasting SD there are few HD channels still.[/citation]
The same thing could be said when 1080p TVs first came out. The hardware comes before the content. No end consumers are actually going to buy this. It will be purchased by a small number of companies. Even at those prices, given the low volume and factory tooling necessary, Westinghouse is certainly not going to make money on these. It is simply pushing the technology. Once enough 4k TVs are made, the content will start to trickle out. Just look back at 1080p, it took many years for it to finally become mainstream.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Westinghouse is a B grade brand. Although Westinghouse name is as old as Edison (see "current wars"), nobody really heard of Westinghouse TVs 15 years ago. Discount retailers (walmart) like them because they can sell them cheaper than a comparable Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or LG. Fact of the matter is they are cheaper because they use cheaper panels.[/citation]
Maybe they will help bring the price ceiling down faster for LG, Sony, Samsung? If this was prices at $20K it would immediately slash the others down about $10K.

Everyone must remember that the first HD sets, like a 46" Plasma used to cost like $50K. And people used to say they couldn't see the difference. These 4K beauties will someday be in the $1-$2K range and all will be well.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]Q: How do you get 4K content into any of these 4K TVs? Is there a connection technology that supports that (DisplayPort? Dual-link DVI?), or do they all simply scale 1080p?[/citation]
Build it an they will come. HDMI 1.4 supports 4K BTW. Most of the decent quality surround receivers already support up-scaling to 4K (some better than others.)

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Westinghouse is a B grade brand. Although Westinghouse name is as old as Edison (see "current wars"), nobody really heard of Westinghouse TVs 15 years ago. Discount retailers (walmart) like them because they can sell them cheaper than a comparable Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or LG. Fact of the matter is they are cheaper because they use cheaper panels.[/citation]

I have a Westinghouse 42" LED/LCD panel as one of my monitors and I have been extremely happy with it so far. If you set it up correctly (turn sharpness down to 0) it makes a nice monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.