Westlake Audio Speakers

hjb_1990

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I recently bought 2 Westlake BBSM-10 studio monitors. I wanted to re-paint the boxes so took the 2 woofers, tweeter and mid range out of the speaker box so I could re-paint the box and then replaced them and re-soldered the wires to the same contact points (I know because I labelled them).

However, I don't have any sound to the woofers or tweeters, only the mid range driver!

I did exactly the same on the other speaker and that is all working fine.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something I may have done wrong or what I can check?

I have got one of the woofers with me now and have connected this directly to my AMP with speaker wire on the bare terminals and nothing is happening... does this mean it is blown?

Is there any other way I can test one of the woofers?

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Solution
Check the wires that go from the speakers terminals to the voice coil of the speaker. You may have unsoldered one or both without noticing. If that looks ok then you are testing the woofers correctly.
If you are connecting the woofer directly to the amp and it is silent then it is blown. You can check the tweeter the same way but start with the volume all the way down and only bring it up a little (tweeter is easy to blow). The woofer can be rebuilt (try www.millersound.com for this) or replaced. The tweeter would require replacement or in some cases a new voice coil dome can installed. Check with Westlake.
Check the wires that go from the speakers terminals to the voice coil of the speaker. You may have unsoldered one or both without noticing. If that looks ok then you are testing the woofers correctly.
If you are connecting the woofer directly to the amp and it is silent then it is blown. You can check the tweeter the same way but start with the volume all the way down and only bring it up a little (tweeter is easy to blow). The woofer can be rebuilt (try www.millersound.com for this) or replaced. The tweeter would require replacement or in some cases a new voice coil dome can installed. Check with Westlake.

Solution