What cables needed? [photos included]

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,
i recently bought an amp and 5.1 home theather speakers for my pc. Ive got the amp connected via optical cable out of my auzentech x-plosion. Ive got the phono cables to connect the amp to the sub, im just not sure what cables i need to connect the outputs from the sub to the other speakers.

You can see the connections in the photo (thats the back of the sub and the back of one of the speakers)

Is it just a case of normal audio phono cables and snip one of the ends off to connect it to the small speaker? Or is it something more specific? If so, any links would be greatly appreciated

P.S im not in the market for super pro cables, im a student firstly and the speakers are not of an audiohpile quality :p

wires.jpg

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
there is no model name or anything on it.google has been no help either.

however,good news as i have figured out how to get the speakers connected. it was just a case of snipping the end of the phono cable and splitting the wires to go in the back of the speakers.

although, im now having problems with my auzentech x-plosion. its all fine except the volume slider bar for the digital output (ie the optical cable) is greyed and stuck at halfway. anyone know of this problem?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
There's no ready made cable for that type that I've seen on the market. You have to make your own or have someone make it for you.

The RCA cord you used are designed for low voltage signals. Sooner or later you'll hear pops on your speakers with that cord.

You'll need RCA connectors also like these connectors or just replace the wire on that RCA cable.

I would use an RJ45 cable if it's my installation, but speaker wires are fine. Make sure that the red connecting to your speaker is soldered at the center of the RCA connector and the ground to the outer terminal.

although, im now having problems with my auzentech x-plosion. its all fine except the volume slider bar for the digital output (ie the optical cable) is greyed and stuck at halfway. anyone know of this problem?
You can not adjust the volume of any digital signal period. However you can adjust the master volume or your Preamp/Amp or Soundcard.

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
yer had a read around about the digital volume and realised it cant be changed except for how you said. only problem is is there was no remote control for my amp and the only buttons on the front of it are input selection,dolby,bypass,prologic and test. been trying to find a controller but not knowing what model it is is rather frustrating. i can tell its not new thats for sure.il take a photo 2moz and upload it in the vague hope that someone will recognise it. tis a long shot but one can try eh.

as for the connectors, yer i got that bit sorted,im using phono cables (gold plated,oxygen free kind) and snipped one end to connect to the speakers. it seems to work fine, no hissing or feedback which is a bonus.

Ill keep an eye out for any popping aswell.

oooh another question also, do speakers need warming up? e.g my speakers are quieter when first turned on and after about an hour are significantly louder.any ideas as to why?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
oooh another question also, do speakers need warming up?
Speakers don't do that but brand new speakers do require break-in no matter how much you pay for your speakers. Some requires longer than others; from one week to over 100 days also transistorized amplifier works better when it’s cold and don't require to warm up unlike the tubes. Amplifier as a whole may be different if tube are use together with tansistorize amp.

e.g my speakers are quieter when first turned on and after about an hour are significantly louder.any ideas as to why?

Depends on how significant.

I also discover that anomaly more than once. But I notice that when my body hit a certain relaxation state I’m more receptive to sound.

Unless other has better answer, I would like to know as well.