What can this laptop handle? Planning on buying, is it worth it?

William Stewart

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
I have had an old Intel Pentium ASUS laptop for 3 years now I need a new laptop (would build my own [Desktop], but I am moving constantly).Anyway I found this laptop by ASUS at B&H here are the specs on it:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell
Nvidia GeForce 840M 2 GB Dedicated
750GB Hardrive
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Providing up to 5 Hours per Charge.
8 GB RAM
15.6" Full HD Matte Display
1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
SuperMulti DVD Burner
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0

Solution
I guess it depends on the 'bargain'

The CPU is great, but it pulls 40-50w so it has been paired with an energy efficient GPU to keep the battery life up. As typical, what will hold you back as much as anything is the laptop HDD.

If you're paying $1,000 or more, it's not that great a deal -- especially with Black Friday coming up. You should be able to snag an i5 (or even an AMD APU) with dedicated video for half the price, with cash left over to replace that slow 5400 laptop HDD with a really 'snappy' SSD.

legoboye

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
the laptop it self looks pretty good, but that 840M is just silly, it cant even handle minecraft at 60 fps, my friend has a laptop with the 840M and its awful. I have the 850M which does about 150 fps in minecraft, so its worth upgrading to that.

Hope this helped you, have a nice day ;D

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I guess it depends on the 'bargain'

The CPU is great, but it pulls 40-50w so it has been paired with an energy efficient GPU to keep the battery life up. As typical, what will hold you back as much as anything is the laptop HDD.

If you're paying $1,000 or more, it's not that great a deal -- especially with Black Friday coming up. You should be able to snag an i5 (or even an AMD APU) with dedicated video for half the price, with cash left over to replace that slow 5400 laptop HDD with a really 'snappy' SSD.

Solution