What do I need to make HDMI audio on my console go to a 3.5mm headset?

staticpops

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
My TV is a TCL which has barebones functionality. It has an AV out port where a 3.5 mm jack fits but it produces poor audio with no way to mess with the volumes. What do I need so the audio of my consoles(PS3, 360) reach my headphones with good quality? Is it a converter? I checked out some of those HDMI converters but if I plug an HDMI cable there then I have no clue how the TV will get video.

How people using hifi headsets generally connect:

HDMI
console -> hdmi audio extractor -> tv
most of the extractors should have hdmi passthrough. just be sure they support hdcp.

3.5mm or RCA red+white out of the extractor
extractor -> amplifier -> headphone

mic requires a cheap usb adapter

alternatively...

you could use the output on your controller into an amplifier into your headphones or if they are weak headphones just use the controller jack by itself.

-------

i believe the dss2 and similar soundcards that came with headsets meant for ps3 also will give you functionality for using 3.5mm headset/mic connections

01.jpg

hdmi input is from your source device.
hdmi output goes to your tv (this is hdmi passthrough)

analog audio output goes to whatever device you need it to. in this case since its headphones you would need at least a cheap amplifier.

it doesnt come with hdmi cables, you would need those. generally just the box is what you get.

--

alternatively, you could use a soundcard (like the dss2) that is meant for console headsets.

--

if your tv had optical or hdmi(arc) support you could get audio from that as well instead of pulling it from the sources.. but since you said its a basic tv i'm thinking you have limited options.

i am fairly sure not. the ps3 is picky when it comes to things like usb soundcards and while it works great for allowing input for 3.5mm mic it will not allow game sounds out via the device. this video explains it all very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnXZlhQpKg

if you have a 3.5mm x 2 type headset it is FAR easier to use your controller headset output and just adapt using a TRRS to 2x TRS cable. for high power cans you might need an amp in between the headphone and headphone plug on the adapter cable.