What do you need for 3d Development in a laptop.

MisterJay

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
First, I see tons of these post of "Need laptop with X for gaming and game dev! PLOX HELP!>!>!?" and it leaves me deeply wondering if a laptop solution is even worth the time, sadly with my current job it would make the continuation of my indie development impossible if I did not have a laptop.

My question is this, and my question is mainly directed at those who have worked on machines built around 3d modelling/rendering, compilation of large projects, and animation. If I where to get a desktop, I have an ideal build in mind, but looking around for a laptop that will be mostly for testing, on the go code/model work, and for keeping my creative bits flowing for the days I am away from the main build, I just want something that works without the worry of a year to year replacement.

So, advice from what those who have experience on this matter would be nice. I am open to all suggestions, let the flame war begin.

PS: No Mac.....

Solution
Autodesk uses dx on many of their software so work fine on non-workstation cards. Could you be more specific on what software? They of course will suggest quadro since they work closer to nvidia to develop its drivers vs geforce but their certified lists will show some geforce. Certified is just what they've tested and haven't seen a card not work.

Cpu vs gpu is apples vs oranges. They are different entities because they are used for different things. Any decent laptop would have a quad core i7 so it's not really up for discussion.

jazmeister

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Hi there, I've been using HP laptops for the last 8 years or so, do a lot of 3D renderings/simulations using Max/Blender plus a heap of other stuff. Sometimes models up to 700Mb plus.
HP dv6000, 8Gb RAM, Radeon Mobile Graphics, i7.
Disk transfer is a little slow and in summer the fans blow a bit :) But all good. It's been my workhorse, daily, 7-15 hours 6-7 days a week often enough. Am 'upgrading' to a desktop now for expandability and coz I don't need the portability but these lappies went hard and well for years.

I'd definitely go for an i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor, if it's in your budget range. From what I understand in benchmarks focused on 3D modeling, the scores are focused on CPU performance.

I'd go for an i7 Processor and a decent dedicated GPU, maybe nothing too high-end if you do not plan on gaming.

k1114

Distinguished
Modeling doesn't need the cpu much and relies on the gpu. You can find viewport benchmarks which compare gpus since cpus aren't going to change much. The more common benchmarks are rendering performance with the majority of renderers being cpu based. A desktop is better performance for the price and can have higher power tdp so higher performance in the top end but certainly mid range performance will work fine for on the go. As already mentioned, go for an quad core i7 and a dedicated gpu. What software do you use and what's your budget?

If you want a flame war, it's not going to happen.

MisterJay

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Haha, I just expected the guns to come out or this to turn into another GPU vs CPU debate. But my development package is mostly based around VS 2013 and Autodesk Entertainment Suite. Auto-desk recommend the Quadro cards, so I was looking into the OrginPC 17inch models using the k1000m and I have heard nothing but great things about them, but if I can avoid a price tag like that life would be good.

Also, I just don't know if I can justify a Quadro card, I have little user experience with them, and don't want a $1000.00 Paper Weight of shame.

k1114

Distinguished
Autodesk uses dx on many of their software so work fine on non-workstation cards. Could you be more specific on what software? They of course will suggest quadro since they work closer to nvidia to develop its drivers vs geforce but their certified lists will show some geforce. Certified is just what they've tested and haven't seen a card not work.

Cpu vs gpu is apples vs oranges. They are different entities because they are used for different things. Any decent laptop would have a quad core i7 so it's not really up for discussion.

Solution

MisterJay

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

In order of usage time.

Maya
Mudbox
PS CS5
VS 2013
Motion Builder
Adobe Illustrator
Unreal Engine 4

MisterJay

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-8350 37 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942) 30 °C
Graphics
Compaq WF1907 (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 30 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM0 02-1BD142 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST i SATA CdRom Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Right out of Speccy, this is my current PC I built when I was hurting for cash about a year ago. Just a cheap way to get back into things.

MisterJay

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Yeah its a 7770, a friend who was upgrading gave it to me, so I put it to use, so looks like I will go with he 8 series, as I don't need the Quadro in my case. Thanks K1114 for really helping me clear this up.

I will do my best to mirror what I use currently, just in a mobile solution. Looks like a Workstation isn't for me.