What DSLR to choose?

Djfreshboy

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I'm new to the DSLR scene and am in the market for a quality entry level camera. Been doing some research of my own but really need some advice. I'll be using it almost exclusively for pictures and don't plan on taking very many videos if any, so any cameras that sacrifice picture quality for video features is a no go for me. I plan on framing some of the pictures I take so a decent MP count is appreciated. Price range is anywhere between $300-$550.

Solution
megapixel count matters very little. You'll be downsizing the images regardless.

I suggest you get a Nikon d3400, with a starter lens of 18-55mm, it will run you around 400 refurbished (on amazon) or 500 new.

Then start saving for the much more useful 18-140mm lens (200-500 used vs new).
Eventually get a Sigma 10-20mm for Landscapes and other wide angle shots (this will become your favorite lens)(300-450)
And a 35mm f/1.8g for low lights and as a large group portrait lens (this will probably produce the best results for you.(150-250)

bjornl

Estimable
megapixel count matters very little. You'll be downsizing the images regardless.

I suggest you get a Nikon d3400, with a starter lens of 18-55mm, it will run you around 400 refurbished (on amazon) or 500 new.

Then start saving for the much more useful 18-140mm lens (200-500 used vs new).
Eventually get a Sigma 10-20mm for Landscapes and other wide angle shots (this will become your favorite lens)(300-450)
And a 35mm f/1.8g for low lights and as a large group portrait lens (this will probably produce the best results for you.(150-250)

Solution

bjornl

Estimable
You're welcome. Don't expect the better camera to include a "make-art" button. It takes, time, patience and practice. But in the end they are (in my biased opinion) well worth the effort. Also with digital film being free, it costs nothing to experiment.