Question What happens when charging a laptop with a type-c phone charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2020
I just connected a type-c phone charger to a laptop type-c usb port. The port is not for charging the laptop. When I connected my phone charger into it, the laptop immediately shut down itself. The laptop is working just fine until now. I wonder if there will be damage inside of the laptop that will occur in the future. My laptop model btw is MSI GF65.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
You can use chargers that plug into USB C "PD" ports (power delivery). The MSI website sucks, and I couldn't tell if you had this port.

Either way, you need more powerful adapters that provide the min # of watts for something like this.

Your phone charger is not powerful enough so likely did not cause any harm. If I were you, I would just test that port with something else (not power related). If it is fine, I would not worry about it.

Just goes to show you...keep your plug out of where it doesn't belong. :)

R

Reactions: superpeas
Jun 6, 2020
You can use chargers that plug into USB C "PD" ports (power delivery). The MSI website sucks, and I couldn't tell if you had this port.

Either way, you need more powerful adapters that provide the min # of watts for something like this.

Your phone charger is not powerful enough so likely did not cause any harm. If I were you, I would just test that port with something else (not power related). If it is fine, I would not worry about it.

Just goes to show you...keep your plug out of where it doesn't belong. :)

R

Thanks for the reply. 😁👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.