What if Intel Pentium and i3 CPUs have unlocked multiplier?

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
In Sandy/Ivy bridge and Haswell CPUs. Nearly all the CPUs under $200 have their multiplier locked. But in AMD there are tons of unlocked multiplier CPUs like Phenom II/Athlon II, APUs and FX- series CPUs.

So here is an interesting question: If one day u've woken up, search the Internet and find out that there are unlock multiplier Intel CPUs like Pentium GxxxxK or i3-3/4xxxK, and its price are just slightly higher than the locked Pentium and i3 CPUs respectively. What will u choose? Will ya drop the A10-xxxxK or FX-63xx/83xx CPUs and turns into these unlocked Pentium and i3 CPUs? :)

Solution
Well, Intel I3's isn't idle for overclocking, even if it did. You wouldn't get a good result. AMD processors are lot more overclockable and when overclocked, they can match up to I5 performance standards! My AMD FX6300 came clocked at 3.5GHZ and I clocked it to 4.3GHz with a Watercooling system

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
C'mon guys its a discussion don't blast the guy for it. Just don't comment
If I could have bought an unlocked I3 that would be great! I really think Intel should have made an unlocked version. I guess it gives more of a reason for people to spend the extra on an i5. But yeah I would love if my i3 was unlocked so I could over clock. I don't think I would be looking at i5s if I could.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
These days its harder to buy a cheap Intel CPU and have it perform like the high end ones. A couple years back you could buy a mid range CPU and overclock it to perform like the more high end chips. Looking back just a few years you could buy an i7 920, overclock it, and have it outperform the more expensive i7's in the 900 series. Even before that people where buying lower end CPU's and overclocking them. Toms had an excellent slide show article on some of the best overclocking chips in history, check it out.

An i3 clocked to 4ghz would be a blazing fast dual core, quite a nice deal for some budget users. However AMD's hex core offerings are priced quite nicely too, making them a better deal for some people. If they all came with unlocked multipliers things would be pretty interesting :D

Effeectt

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Well, Intel I3's isn't idle for overclocking, even if it did. You wouldn't get a good result. AMD processors are lot more overclockable and when overclocked, they can match up to I5 performance standards! My AMD FX6300 came clocked at 3.5GHZ and I clocked it to 4.3GHz with a Watercooling system

Solution

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

lol, if I found a way to make a million dollars I'd be purchasing a Lambo.

OT: You could OC them but idk.

warlock_dthpunch

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Intel is gonna release a Unlocked Pentium G3258 @3.2Ghz Processor that can be overclocked on LGA 1150 Z87 platform.....
So now you can at least Overclock a Pentium... It comes at very cheap at $79.99

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
IF they were, I could see the i3s (with 4 threads HT) being overclocking monsters and very good for gaming on a budget.

Theres a new Pentium coming out soon to mark the anniversary which should be unlocked, not sure if it will have HT though.

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
Here I'm the op. According to tomshardware pentiums do have unlocked multiplier but they are won't have HT neither they will have HD 4600 graphics. We could put them beyond limit but since they are dual core multithread performance won't be improved.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013

There is one new one for the anniversary Pentium which is unlocked. Pentium G3258