What is a good virus protection software?

starflyer

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Coming from owning a Mac the last 10 years and now building a gaming PC for my son. What's a good virus protection software that isn't annoying with pop ups and update requests? I'd prefer something just do it's thing in the background.

Thanks in advance.

starflyer

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Free is awesome. Thank you!

I've had Windows in the past with Norton and McAfee - Hated them both! It seemed like every other day it was pop ups and downloads and scans to approve. Eesh.

I'll check these all out. Thanks very much for the replies.

Outlander_04

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 18, 2008

I used the free version for 6 -7 years and put it on many other computers for people . It works .

In the last few years I have been using the paid version to give a little back and take advantage of the better firewall in the extended product . Also good .

Norton has literally killed computers for me . MacAfee .always scores very low on independent tests
Make sure you disable windows defender but with the free AV leave the windows firewall running

starflyer

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Okay, so I've downloaded Avast (the free version). Every half an hour or so, even if I'm not even on the web, a pop up from Avast comes up saying a virus has been detected (and even announces it over and over) and the program pops up on the screen asking me to install it with the cancel button greyed out. Clicking the X doesn't do anything. Avast says to scan, which I do, then it has me reboot the computer, taking like 8 minutes rescanning my entire computer. When it reboots, I've got a lovely new adware shortcut link on my desktop.

I don't think Avast is going to work out. :/ I think it's PUTTING these adware downloads my computer!! It is not stopping them.

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
PLEASE PLEASE Don't.listen to anyone or any site that says bitdefender or Norton are better than the others and they rate them 10 because they clean the computer from junk amd stuff. if you want a free solution then go with forticlient it has popups and stuff but the protection is really good. Another great solution is eset which doesn't have many popups but you need to pay

starflyer

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

I ended up getting a 14 day trial of Webroot for Gamers. So far, it seems to be okay. I don't mind paying for it, if it does what it's supposed to. I will look into the one you've suggested as well, as I've got time to decide till the trial runs out. Thank you!

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

I have never heard of forticlient before.....The same would probably go with other techs in the forum. I would not trust forticlient to be better than bitdefender maybe norton but not BD especially the free version yet unless you have actual proof that it does..the claim you made cannot be justified

Also BD free is more effective and guess what no pop ups! Now that is a good free AV

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015

My "personal" proof: Each time a new virus is said that it is released and there is a list of the antiviruses that can stop it, forticlient is always there.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Saying that forticlient is always there when a new virus is released seems far from personal proof and it seems like you are trying to prove something...I guess if it is there every time a new virus releases, I suppose you are telling me that it can catch every virus in the world?

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
No. There's no perfect antivirus in the world, but what I mean is that
A. It's proven with these tests that it catches more viruses than bitdefender. It can't be by chance always in the list and bitdefender not.
B. I had tried bitdefender, norton, kaspersky etc and they all slowed down my computer. The reason I installed them? I listened to all these sites saying bitdefender or Norton is the best.
I have no mean to offend you, but I have tried all these antiviruses and forticlient is the best of them. (As I said previously, bitdefender gets great marks because it can clean junk etc, but this is not what an antivirus is supposed to do

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

A. That can change in any month and day like we both said
B. User preferences....I find that BD free and security catches most if not all viruses and there was even a confirmed test by Skylyne ( a user on this forum) that BD was able to catch all files that mimicked viruses....Very interesting indeed...Any proof of BD just cleaning junk and that Forticlient is the best out of all of them? If its just personal preference then I am fine, no need proof for that

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
I said that bitdefender cleans junk files too. Not, that it only cleans junk. Also, my computer was performing really bad with bitdefender and when I installed forticlient it found 5 viruses approxemately. I just installed ccleaner for cleaning junk which does a much better job than bitdefender in cleaning junk. Finally, the worst thing that has ever happened to me in a computer was caused by bitdefender; Once, a virus got inside my computer and because bitdefender couldn't deal with it, guess what it did? It made my registry read-only and I couldn't remove the virus manually or install programs. How does that sound to you??? Having the #1 antivirus and not being able to deal with such a virus. (Remember, I don't want to offend you and I 'm not saying that this virus was a simple one). Finally, I fixed it myself, but such a problem has not yet been encountered of any of the six systems I'm using that I have installed forticlient.