What is it?

bmwsid

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Liquid in a projection TV? Is it to be concerned about?
It is a HDTV RCA D52W20.
I just am taking it apart for fun. I found some nice magnifying glasses, I was hoping to make a solar oven, but I don't think it has the right front lens cover to be a magnifier.

Solution
It's called coupling fluid. They use it to mate the light from the surface of the picture tube to the projection lens. It can serve two major funcitons, Preventing odd light refractions, and cooling of the CRT. It's 90% de-ionized water, with a few other chemicals to prevent bubbling, and surface tensions. There isn't anything dangerous to the touch, but I'd probably wash my hands when i was done with it.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
It's called coupling fluid. They use it to mate the light from the surface of the picture tube to the projection lens. It can serve two major funcitons, Preventing odd light refractions, and cooling of the CRT. It's 90% de-ionized water, with a few other chemicals to prevent bubbling, and surface tensions. There isn't anything dangerous to the touch, but I'd probably wash my hands when i was done with it.

Solution

bmwsid

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Thank you. I had fun dis-mntling the thing. I got the magnifying lens from the front, and several (3) sets of magnifying glasses from inside. The front lens will make a really good front for a solar oven. I can also incorporate the mirror's use in a solar oven, too!!
I am going to try the speakers on my stereo, to see how they work there. They look good.
Thanks for the reply.