Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hi guys!

I'm interested in programming and have been trying to teach myself Python (and I find it to be impossible, there's so many things I don't understand and the book doesn't tell, any advices on teaching myself Python would be greatly appreciated also...). I came across a website which introduced me to Microsoft Visual Studio, after a little research I found out that it's a IDE for code development, but can anyone tell me what good does it do if I used Visual Studio instead of the Python's IDE? So put simple, my question is "Why Visual Studio?".

Any comment and reply would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance guys! Alex Cheng

Solution
MS Visual Studio is a programming compiler/editing software that's developed to create an environment for the programmer to manager their programs files, edit those files, create new ones, debug their code, etc. It supports about a dozen languages and is very safe to program in. Basically, it's just like any other IDE and everybody has their own preference. I personally have been using Visual Studio for 5 years and would recommend it. If not, you could try pyscripter. It's free, open source and I've heard/read a lot of good things about it.

Hope this answers your question.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
MS Visual Studio is a programming compiler/editing software that's developed to create an environment for the programmer to manager their programs files, edit those files, create new ones, debug their code, etc. It supports about a dozen languages and is very safe to program in. Basically, it's just like any other IDE and everybody has their own preference. I personally have been using Visual Studio for 5 years and would recommend it. If not, you could try pyscripter. It's free, open source and I've heard/read a lot of good things about it.

Hope this answers your question.

Solution

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
As mentioned, Visual Studio is just an IDE for various languages (mainly Visual Basic, C++, and C#). I'm not sure it supports Python, as Python is interpreted, not compiled.

Idle (the default IDE for Python) works just fine for me :)

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Visual Studio 2010 has Python integrated in their SDK, but before 2010 you needed to get IronPython, which is a tool kit for Visual Studio specifically for the support of Python (like the name didn't give it away :na: ).

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Ahh, wasn't aware of that update. Last time I used Visual Studio was 2008, soo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.