What is the best OS for a Netbook?

Erkan Mali

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
There is a netbook with a 1GB RAM and an old Intel Atom from 2008. It needs formatting but which OS should I go on? Xp or Win 8.1? I ask this in terms of performance.

Erkan Mali

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Nah it is a friend who needs format and not familiar with other OSs. I can't install Linux.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
There are four choices: 1. FAMILIARIZE them about other operating systems, "not familiar" isn't really an excuse for something practically useless of a device. Look for "netbook distros". 2. They buy at least a notebook, which has semi-usability and performance for Windows. 3. Upgrade the netbook to max (max ram, 2GB?, SSD would cost too much). Check specs, max upgrade options, and cost. 4. If you're glued to Windows; take the time and effort to Customize Windows 7 Starter with NTLite (recommended). Take the time to research (online, YouTube) how to do it, which parts to remove, which parts to further limit, because 1GB memory is practically useless for today's operating systems. Or force yourself to use outdated crap. Unless older games/emulation are your point.