What is the better headset?

Lazymonkey86

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Title says it all. I am planning on getting a headset for not only gaming, but listening to music. I am trying to keep my budget at around $120. I can go over if it's necessary. What I want in a headset is excellent sound quality, comfort, as well as sound insulation. The mike is not a concern. Here is my list.
Razer Blackshark,
Razer Tiamat (2.2 or 7.1),
Razer Kraken 7.1,
Corsair 1500 7.1.
Any other recommendations are appreciated, and I would much prefer the 3.5mm audio jack, as I want to use my phone with them as well.

Solution
FWIW, you can add a mic to any headphone.

Have you considered the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headsets? They are well regarded in gaming, plus they are the only headset I'm aware of that has a retractable mic. That's a big plus if you want to use them with your iPod and don't want a mic boom hanging off the side of your headphones.

Lazymonkey86

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Now that I think about it, the G930 has some nice features. My concern(s) are that A) how well is the 7.1 surround sound? Is it virtual? B) I have owned a wireless pair of headphones before, they were terrible, and lastly, C) do these headphones sound good? Are they good for not only gaming, but listening to music with? I have narrowed it down to these, and the Blackshark.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I'd read the user reviews at Newegg and Amazon.com for each of them. Lots of opinions there, from people who actually own the headsets.

Also, read some professional reviews, preferably reviews for both made by the same site.
E.g.
http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/wireless-gaming-headset/g930/
http://www.engadget.com/products/razer/blackshark/

In fact, read some more reviews from here:
http://www.engadget.com/reviews/headsets/

And whatever you decide to buy, go to pcpartpicker to find the lowest price.

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
G930 user here. I can give you some subjective info on my experiences with the headset.

That said, since you mentioned that you would like to use them for music and don't need a mic perhaps you should look at some real headphones. For the same money you can get some outstanding headphones that will sound great for everything. If you want to add virtual surround sound to any stereo headphone, you could always use Razer's Surround software to get virtual 7.1 in games.

Since you are looking for sound isolation, you'll want to look at closed-back circumaural headphones. Some headphone candidates besides the G930 you may want to consider:

Audio-Technica M30, M35, M40, or M50
Sony MDR-7506 or V6
Denon HP700
Sennheiser HD280, HD419, HD428, HD429
Shure SRH440

Lazymonkey86

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I want a microphone with it too. That is the entire purpose of the headset. I really don't care for the quality. As long as it picks up my voice, I'm fine. I was looking at the Blackshark because A) it seems to be comfortable, B), I can use it with my iPod, C) sound isolation, and lastly, D), good sound quality?

Can anyone with this headset clarify?

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
FWIW, you can add a mic to any headphone.

Have you considered the SteelSeries Siberia V2 headsets? They are well regarded in gaming, plus they are the only headset I'm aware of that has a retractable mic. That's a big plus if you want to use them with your iPod and don't want a mic boom hanging off the side of your headphones.

Solution