what is this for?

gerry.dombroski

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I have in my possession a short 4" cable that has molded on one end a USB male and on the other end what seems to be a 3.5mm female jack. What in the heck is this used for? I'm not ready to just plug it in any USB port and plug in a set of headphones. Nor have I had the chance to ohm it out to get a pin-out. It's white with nothing else molded on it except for the standard USB symbol.

Solution
I do not see multiple separately insulated connections inside that 3.5mm jack so I seriously doubt it is for any kind of audio connection. More likely is that it is for some kind of power conversion from the USB 5v circuit. For WHAT, I cannot say, but I'm seeing only 5v and ground contact points on the 3.5mm so that would be my best guess. This is not a common or universal cable most likely. Seems it is probably for a very specific device unless I'm off the mark.

gerry.dombroski

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

Nope, not even close. 3.5 mm AUDIO. (I should have made that more clear.)
what-is-this-for.jpg

Thanks just the same. :)
What I really want to know is what it is INTENDED for, or what is it's INTENDED use?

gerry.dombroski

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

Could be, I'll have to find an unattached female USB to ohm it out. The only one handy was still attached to a USB board and gave crazy readings.
Still I have a feeling it is more than a 5-volt tap.
I am still wondering what is/was it's possible use and could I make use of it in the future.

gerry.dombroski

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

It did not register as any sort of USB device, so no circuitry inside.
I ohm-ed it out and I was surprised, it's just a 5-volt tap!
Strange, any idea what it could have been used for or any idea on what I can potentially use it for?

usb-adapter.jpg

Thanks for your patience... ;)

gerry.dombroski

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

Yep, well a diagram. so it's nothing more that a probable single circuit, not stereo type, on the 3.5mm jack end.
I thought a picture / diagram would be better as the guys were patient with me.

Thanks ALL for your time and interest.
But if anyone has any ideas on what it was from or any potential use, I'm open for suggestions.

Gerry

I do not see multiple separately insulated connections inside that 3.5mm jack so I seriously doubt it is for any kind of audio connection. More likely is that it is for some kind of power conversion from the USB 5v circuit. For WHAT, I cannot say, but I'm seeing only 5v and ground contact points on the 3.5mm so that would be my best guess. This is not a common or universal cable most likely. Seems it is probably for a very specific device unless I'm off the mark.

Solution