What Laptop Is Best For Me In College?

HenryP9626

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
Hello! Thank you for visiting and helping me out!

I am a sophomore and I need a laptop. I am majoring in biochemistry. It makes sense any laptop will work, but here is the thing.

I want a laptop that will last through the day without charge when I am not on Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Premiere Pro. Since I want to start making YouTube videos when I have the time on campus. The videos will consist of gaming/comedy/blogging. The gaming and recording the games will be done on my gaming computer. When I'm done recording my gameplays, I will transfer it to my laptop so when I have the time I can start editing it while on campus.

Also I do want to game at times on my laptop, but I feel like that is a waste of money since I shouldn't be doing that, I should be studying or just editing my videos, or hanging with friends. So maybe on the gaming part, if it is possible.

I also am interested in a 2-in-1 laptop if there is no laptop that can support me on that. Then that is alright since I don't want to take notes on a piece of paper, I rather take notes on a laptop by writing it with my own handwriting. That is why I want a 2-in-1 laptop.

My budget is actually not too low, I can buy any laptop, but I would like to save money. I am on a full ride on my university that is why budget is not important but I want to start saving money. So any laptop under 1000$ would be great, if not then I can spend a couple more hundred dollars.

So to wrap this up a long lasting battery that can go the whole day without charge if I am not gaming, doing adobe premiere nor Photoshop. Also is capable of doing 2-in-1. Doesn't have to be 2-in-1 but would be great. Budget like to be under 1000$ but can go more.

Thanks guys!

Solution

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
For a Whole dy without Charge , you need to look at Lenovo Thinkpads

Here are some options :

1- (up to 21 hours ) , Thikpad X260

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x260/?menu-id=thinkpad_x260

2- (upto 24 hours : Thinkpad T560

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t560/?menu-id=thinkpad_t560

3-(up to 18 hours : T460

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/?menu-id=thinkpad_t460

If you want to game on it ,

4-(10 hours) : T460p

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460p/

and finally the workstation series

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/?menu-id=p_series

make sure to pic IPS screen

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
First of all I need to tell you a couple of things about laptops:

If you already have a gaming computer that can handle BOTH gaming and editing DON'T EDIT YOUR VIDEOS ON A LAPTOP. Laptops were not designed for performing intensive tasks for many hours they are just a secondary platform. When it's compulsory to be moving contantly and you feel like playing games etcetera far from home.

If you do not requiere a portable heavy task capable computer (Hence we forget the idea of a tablet) JUST DON'T BUY A LAPTOP

That being said in this page XOTIC said that they would have a laptop like this with the GTX 1060 instead for a much lower price

https://www.amazon.com/GL502VS-DB71-Full-HD-Gaming-I7%C2%AD6700Q-Windows/dp/B01K1INYD0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471568067&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+1070+laptop

Are they right, you will be getting an 6700HQ paired with a GTX 1060 for $1100 or $1300, sell either the SSD or 8GB of RAM from the laptop and you are ready to go.

A config like that should be plenty of stuff for any game at ultra as well as some video editing.

Getting an ultrabook for those purposes is not worth it they are very pricey and not convenient for heavy workloads

HenryP9626

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Thanks I appreciate it, i understand what you mean but i dont have alot of time going to school then going back home to edit videos or play games as I got work as well. So that is why I want a laptop that can edit videos im not going to render it just edit it and save it and import it to my gaming pc so it can render it. If editing still gives a load on the laptop. Damn, Ill just get a laptop that is 2in1 for mainly schoolwork.

PS: That laptop is like an actual full side gaming computer. Damn. Thats nice but a honker to carry around. Also may as well sell my gaming computer just to get this laptop since my computer was worth $1400. Jk, i dont think I want another gaming system, just a system to do work and editing but then again I do need a gpu probably..

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Actually no, it's just like a normal 15.6 inch laptop

It's not super small but aceptable for its performance. It's hard to find 14 inch laptops that are cheap and perform well

Speed Fung

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
T460s with GT 940m might be your best bet, 1.5kg and battery that last 9 hours. for editing and game a little, the discrete gpu would be helpful. im not sure where youre from but T460s with gt 940m is avaliable in quite a few countries

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
The ASUS notebook you chosen will never last more than 4 hours on battery and you asked for a whole day without Charge .

Thats a gaming machin NOT student heavy duty Machine.

Nothing bats Thinkpad for heavy Duty and long battery life

HenryP9626

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

I agree with you looked up the reviews and it dies fast. Also I am thinking of getting the xps 15 with a dedicated gpu, or maybe the ASUS ZenBook Pro UHD or the ASUS ZenBook UX303U since linus said it can do 4k not very well but it is possible and do able, since I am just editing it at 1080p i'm thinking the ASUS UX303U or the XPS 15

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

you said $1000 . XPS 15 is expensive with dedicated GPU ..

Asus are not heavy duty .. look for heavy duty notebooks.

HenryP9626

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

yes, I would like to spend less then 1000$ but like I said I can spend more if needed. I don't want a laptop that will last me a year or 2, I want it to last a pretty long time like 4-5 years.

Ps: you think the yoga thinkpad, could still fit my needs, as I want a 2in1 laptop as well, if not understandable.

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

2 in one is stupid ... you will never get both using 2 in one , not a light tablet , nor fast Notebook ..

dont mix them , get a Tablet and a Notebook .. This is from personal experience , they dont mix ...

a Tablet should be 600 g light and easy with digitizer and last long (no heavy GPU) , .

a Notebook should be powerful and heavy duty and with GPU..

you cant have 2 in one without sacrificing BOTH .

If you can pay geet the DELL XPS 15 it is also good , but they have 2 battery sizes , make sure you tell them that you want the bigger one.

Solution

HenryP9626

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Thanks Sam I was going to buy my laptop today since college was is about to start and need to get ready.

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Getting the ZenBook Pro makes no sense, it's a lighter 15 inch laptop I think it's best to get a thicker laptop as long as it is smaller. Because they are easier to pack and carry

14 inch laptops seem ideal and I don't think asus laptops are bad

Samer1970

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014

What gives you the right to unselect best answer solutions ? you are not the OP ..

first you downvoted my answer , which is okay , BUT then when the OP chosen my answer as best answer you unselect it ..

whats wrong with you?