kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
I have an engineering class where we have to use CAD products and Maya. I want to run the dolphin emulator for.... ya know... games. I have to be able to code java and run maya at max. Could a i5 4200u (surface pro 2). I like to play SOME games that are intensive but I highly doubt I would be playing them on the game. I would mostly do 3d stuff, 2d animation on adobe flash, photoshop, premiere (a little), and gamemaker/unity. I want to spend around $500 because money is hard to come by as a student. We are provided macbooks but you can only install some programs on them and you are limited to being in the classroom. Before you say anything, I have a desktop with an i5 4690k and a gtx 960.

Solution
I would not recommend an Intel dual core "U" model CPU if you can afford an Intel quad core for CAD / Maya purposes since those are pretty demanding on the CPU. Sure something like the i5-4200u can be used for CAD / Maya, but don't expect "max" performance.

With a budget of only $500 your are basically limited to laptop with dual core Intel CPU and don't expect it to have a color accurate screen.
I would not recommend an Intel dual core "U" model CPU if you can afford an Intel quad core for CAD / Maya purposes since those are pretty demanding on the CPU. Sure something like the i5-4200u can be used for CAD / Maya, but don't expect "max" performance.

With a budget of only $500 your are basically limited to laptop with dual core Intel CPU and don't expect it to have a color accurate screen.

Solution

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

:( alright, guess I'll save up for a couple months.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

Surface pro 2 with an i5 4300u good enough? it only has 4gb ram but the cpu is the same as surface pro 3. plus it has a wacom pen!