What programming language should I learned for interacting touch devic

faisal amin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hello Guys, Im 2nd year Electronics engg student, Im building a hardware setup that consist of a frame which can be hook up with any LCD,and when I touch any area of LCD screen, It would generate X and Y coordinates in digital format, But I dont know how I feed these inputs to PC, and how I program to control the mouse pointer . What programming should I learned. I only know little about C and java. If somebody help me, it would be appriciable. Thank u

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
So are you building everything from scratch, or are you using some kind of touch screen kit? Because in the latter case, you'd probably be provided with an SDK that would make the decision for you.

manicmike

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
What platform are you working with?

Windows uses C++, so if you're planning on using said touch interface with a windows based platform, I believe it would be C++.

Linux is written in a few languages, but C would be a good place to start...

Regardless, you'll need more than a 30 minute programming crash course in programming to start writing drivers. You mentiond being an Electrical Engineering student? Get in touch with a few of the programming teachers at your school, talk to them about writing drivers for the device. And keep in mind that it will be platform specific. A Windows Driver will not work for a Linux or UNIX based OS, nor will it work on the Mac OS(s). Personally, I'd recommend going for windows based drivers, with all the hype about Win 8 being good for touchscreen, combined with the fact that to my knowledge, MS Windows OSs hold the largest market share worldwide (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Good Luck! :D

faisal amin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks manicmike. :)
your suggestion about programming is really encouraging,
Do you know any site which provide me a tutorial for writing drivers in windows???
If u know , then plz send me the link, it would e a really kind of u....... :ange:

faisal amin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Sir, Im building every thing from scratch, Im using IR TX/Rx and digital X-Y co-ordinate data r created by an AVR microcontroller , I can fed these inputs to PC using USB , serial or parallel port, after this I dont knoww anything how to get the data and control the pointer.Sir i wanna tutorial for such programming in Windows platform, thanks

Ijack

Distinguished
Given those choices, data received via the serial port is probably the easiest to handle. Here is a paper that describes the basics of accessing the serial port in a Windows environment: http://www.robbayer.com/files/serial-win.pdf . No doubt Google will show you more information.

You will need to use C for the programming. (It's possible to access the Windows API from other languages, but C is going to be easiest.)

drew_stew

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
If you know Java, I suggest looking into MT4J (Multi-touch for Java). It's a framework that coincides with Java (obviously), I believe it's free and comes with a lot of documentation, and you can use an IDE like eclipse to program with it.

Hope that helps.

faisal amin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for ur great link n suggestion. Now I've understood What I've to do...
Thanks again