What smartphone should I buy?

strelokstk

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Right now I have the good old Nokia 3310 and I'm happy with it, but since I started to work far from home, instead to buy a full hd camera, a gps navigator and a camera, I want to buy a smarphone, my first smartphone. I don't know a lot about them, the only thing I demand is a good quality camera and video camera and a gps (the one you can use without internet). No iOS since I already have an iPod touch and then there no fun, so android or windows phone 8. I never used either of them, so it's up to you to decide. The brands are Htc and Nokia.

Well, for "no internet" GPS you will need to buy a GPS app that will install it's own set of maps. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any particular GPS app. No Android phone comes with such an app for free.

You may want to check out the HTC Droid DNA currently selling for $200 with a 2 year contract at VerizonWireless. It has dual 1080p cameras. The rear facing camera is 8 megapixels, not sure of the front facing camera. It has a 5" screen so I'm pretty sure the size is monsterous compared to your current phone.

Here's a review:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2013/01/03/htc-droid-dna-android-smartphone-review/

I can't really say how good it is from personal experience because I have an HTC EVO V 4G from Virgin Mobile which is currently selling for $180. I switched from Verizon to cut down on monthly charges. It has a gimmicky 3D camera, interesting i suppose, but I don't take pictures and you can only see the 3D effect on the EVO's screen and the viewing angle is extremely narrow. I think both cameras are 5 megapixels. Overall the phone is pretty decent, but not spectacular so if you wanna impress friends, then this is not the phone to get. Also, its 4.3" screen is not 1080p which may or may not be a good thing since 1080p on a 5" screen makes icons and text look tiny. The HTC EVO V 4G is a good option if you are looking to keep cost down though.

Here's a review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406415,00.asp

strelokstk

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Well, for "no internet" GPS you will need to buy a GPS app that will install it's own set of maps. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any particular GPS app. No Android phone comes with such an app for free.

sorry for not being clear. yes i will buy a gps app. the budget just for the phone is 300 € +