What software would you install for a child to use on a computer? These are for Foster Kids

Chillimon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Here's the deal, I have 12 Dell Optiplex GX520's that are about 8 years old (donated from a University).

I've got Windows XP on them and nothing else. These are going to be donated to Foster Children. Ages will range, but we are talking about 12-16 years old. They may or may not be able to go online with them. Depending on the foster family they are staying with.

So I have to presume they won't be online with them much or at all. I'm doing all the work here. I know what I am doing, but I just need some suggestions on software you think would be good for these kids to have pre-installed.

I'm going with Libre Office as Open office has gone to apache and Libre is a better system in my opinion.
Other basics are:
Adobe Reader, PDF Creator, 7 Zip, Gimp, Infranview, Google Earth, I-Tunes, VLC Player, Audacity,
MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Firefox, chrome (if they go online) and all the usual plugins.

But what else? What educational tools could I put on for these kids? Anything cool they would like that is kid friendly? But it must work offline.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Solution
Steam is a definite if they will have internet access and are allowed to game on it. You could create a Steam account for the computers (I believe you can have multiple machines logged into the same account if you specify it during creation that your an internet cafe type business). Go on Ebay and see if you can get some Humble Bundle Steam keys, which would be a cheap way to get a bunch of good games onto the account.

Sketchup 8, who knows, they might want to do some 3D modelling.

Kindle Reader or some other ebook application. Would be pretty internet reliant to get content onto it, at the very least they could put in school-books and the like which usually come with an ebook version on a disc.

Fences is a good application for...

Chillimon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

I thought about steam. Just don't know who will be online and who won't. Was thinking of just making a Welcome.. read me file and having a Ninite exe to install steam if they ever get online.

manofchalk

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Steam is a definite if they will have internet access and are allowed to game on it. You could create a Steam account for the computers (I believe you can have multiple machines logged into the same account if you specify it during creation that your an internet cafe type business). Go on Ebay and see if you can get some Humble Bundle Steam keys, which would be a cheap way to get a bunch of good games onto the account.

Sketchup 8, who knows, they might want to do some 3D modelling.

Kindle Reader or some other ebook application. Would be pretty internet reliant to get content onto it, at the very least they could put in school-books and the like which usually come with an ebook version on a disc.

Fences is a good application for keeping the desktop tidy, and has a free version available.

Solution