What specs do I need to have 30 tabs open?

jbyew

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
In short I plan on heading back to college through online courses. I’m looking to purchase a laptop for this use only. I plan on spending a lot of time researching different topics and when I do that I can have 30 tabs open. Im looking to purchase a laptop that wouldn’t hiccup at all when having so many tabs open.
Really appreciate ANY help at all!

Solution
With 30 tabs open I recommend at least 16GB of RAM especially if you want to use Chrome because it is the "memory hoggiest" browser out there.

A quad core CPU is generally recommend because websites contain a lot of coding behind them and if you are going to have 30 tabs open, then chances are there can be times when the CPU will be in very high demand especially when load new websites.

jbyew

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for that! I did see that page before though and it really doesn’t answer what that many tabs will do to the system ie what specs I would need...

Calvin7

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Every tab you open consumes working memory, some browsers use more than others. having your RAM almost full can be a good thing. It becomes a bad thing when your RAM is constantly full and slowing down your system. If what you’re doing needs more RAM than your computer has to offer, it’ll start swapping some of that short-term memory to your computer’s hard drive, which is much slower.

RAM amount should not be much of a problem unless the laptop has only a small amount. A 2x4GB or 2 x 8GB quantity of memory should be plenty.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Do you absolutely need a laptop as opposed to a desktop? I think you could build a low cost general purpose desktop and get a couple of monitors so you could have your browser tabs on one screen and Microsoft Word on the other. A desktop will generally give you easier options for adding ram.

If you do need a laptop, also consider a second monitor connected to the laptop's video out port.

With 30 tabs open I recommend at least 16GB of RAM especially if you want to use Chrome because it is the "memory hoggiest" browser out there.

A quad core CPU is generally recommend because websites contain a lot of coding behind them and if you are going to have 30 tabs open, then chances are there can be times when the CPU will be in very high demand especially when load new websites.

Solution

jbyew

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

Thank you so much for that. If I can just ask for clarification for my uneducated self. What do you mean by 4X2 or 8X2 Is that the same as 8 GB ram and 16?