What super portable, gaming-enabled laptop should I buy?

nathanbrotherbob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I am in the market to buy a new laptop for school, and I want to make my purchase around early to mid August. I have always been more of a DIY desktop guy, so I don't really know anything about the laptop industry.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Very portable, as in 14 inches or less, pretty light, and slim looking
- Visually attractive
- Pure SSD based. Doesn't need to be big, I won't store much locally
- Minimal gaming capabilities (MUST be able to max out Dota 2 and never drop below 60fps)
- A really solid WiFi card, I want my online gaming and streaming experience to be as consistent as possible
- Around if not less than $1,000

Like I said, I don't know anything about popular brands, the best integrated graphics, the cheapest mobiles GPUs, etc. Thank you so much for bearing with me, and thank you as well for the advice!

nathanbrotherbob

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Hmmmmm upon doing some research, I couldn't really find either of those laptop models for any less than $1,200. Also, I'm not a fan of the "MSI Gaming" logo on the back.

Maybe I should emphasize that portability and design is far less important than gaming. I could even compromise and turn off VSync, shadows, and AA in Dota 2, as long as I reach a minimum of 60fps in game. It will be the only game I play, I have a desktop for serious gaming.

Any other suggestions?

BlackPseudicide

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Check out these: -http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JK-DS71T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00IAA5BSS
-http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/
The Lenovo with the 755M has the best graphics power you're going to find at that price point.

Amarath

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
If you really don't like MSI then how about the Sager NP or N55 models, Asus 550JK or 750JW, or Gigabyte Q2556N or P15. They all have at least the minimum nvidia gtx 760M needed for 60fps for Dota 2 and weigh roughly 6 pounds which is pretty good for a gaming laptop. They just don't have SSD; I don't think you'll find a laptop that cheap with an SSD. You can always upgrade that with online vendors like XioticPC. These laptops do have a decent HD around 750GB on average. But if you really want the best wifi, attractive, and portability MSI still has some better lower-end models you can look through.