What to choose

Solution
Yeah, they got hacked by some extremely talented people, possibly the NSA, and then infected with a particularly elusive virus. It's very likely that many other companies were hacked too. There's no such thing as a perfect antivirus, Kaspersky is just currently the closest to that right now. This breach shows that antivirus's still have a long ways to go.
Here's the link to the breach report. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/kaspersky-hacked-by-stuxnet-creator,29348.html

chadbry

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
there's a large personal debate about what best, and everyone likes different software. personally i use avast!, ive had 0 problems with it. i find that software like AVG give an excessive amount of false positives and problems.

clutchc

Distinguished
As chadbry says, it is a personal decision mostly. I have had nothing but problems with Avast and was forced to try other virus pgms. I finally ended up with Microsoft Securities Essentials for virus, and Malwarebytes for malware. Over many machines and many years, I have never had an issue. The nice thing about MSE is that it is totally transparent to Windows.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Avast! was nice, but it just gave too many false positives. It told me that my Asus motherboard drivers were viruses and spyware... One time it tried to update Java without uninstalling the older version.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

They score pretty highly http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php.

Avast had a data breach about year or so ago. I remember their forums were taken down for a long while because of it.

Aspiring techie

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Yeah, they got hacked by some extremely talented people, possibly the NSA, and then infected with a particularly elusive virus. It's very likely that many other companies were hacked too. There's no such thing as a perfect antivirus, Kaspersky is just currently the closest to that right now. This breach shows that antivirus's still have a long ways to go.
Here's the link to the breach report. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/kaspersky-hacked-by-stuxnet-creator,29348.html

Solution

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Thee breach that target Kaspersky show how important they are in the security world to the hackers who were targeting Iran nuclear secret and wanted to spy security firm to anticipate their latest detection technology to be prepare for it but got foil. Homeusers were not affected as all the evidence point that it was governments trying to spy other country governments. I won't let event discourage my use on Kaspersky since they were honest sharing their finding to the public instead of keeping it secret and have to give them credit to detecting such complicated highly costly spyware that reveal nuclear meeting were being spied on all the long.

Suggesting get Kaspersky or Eset for paid or Avast o Bitdefender for free. Kaspersky for detection rate and not worry about the conspiracy Kaspersky product spy on you, Eset if you don't mind a weaker but still strong antivirus and a very fast and stable product. Avast if you don't mind ads that I heard about, Bitdefender free for its awesome detection rate but don't mind the lack of features and willing to take the risk of their bugs.